Proof Cleaners Work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yup

I posted a link to videos a couple weeks ago that had a guy with a bore scope looking at tops of valves before and after using things like Techron. Wasn't much change. So, my question, is there legit evidence that those cleaners work well? I typically throw Techron in once or twice a year. Would this be equal to running Chevron Premium or Shell Premium here and there or is the bottle higher concentration?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Yup
I posted a link to videos a couple weeks ago that had a guy with a bore scope looking at tops of valves before and after using things like Techron. Wasn't much change. So, my question, is there legit evidence that those cleaners work well? I typically throw Techron in once or twice a year. Would this be equal to running Chevron Premium or Shell Premium here and there or is the bottle higher concentration?

I don't think ChrisFix videos with the boroscope down the cylinders after running one tank is accurate, since he can't show the injectors themselves or the spray patterns. Or other parts of the fuel system.

The bottle is higher concentration- at least for Techron, than Chevron's gasoline. You could run a couple ounces per tank, or run a bottle occasionally, and you should be fine. Running premium every now and then would be less effective than running a cleaner every now and then.

So, my question, is there legit evidence that those cleaners work well?

Sure, unbolt the cylinder head and take a look.
grin2.gif

Mine consume premium blends of premium from Shell and Chevron typically.

That and frequent WOT blasts through redline in the taller ratios helps keep the works neat and tidy.
No additional lotions and potions required.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Prune_Juice

I don't think ChrisFix videos with the boroscope down the cylinders after running one tank is accurate, since he can't show the injectors themselves or the spray patterns. Or other parts of the fuel system.

The test is for piston crown cleaning claims only. Additive claims 30% removal of carbon in just one tank with it. And the video suposedly shows that this is far from truth. Those videos aren't objectivated as injector or valve cleaner proof.

Originally Posted By: Pontual
Originally Posted By: Prune_Juice

The test is for piston crown cleaning claims only. Additive claims 30% removal of carbon in just one tank with it. And the video suposedly shows that this is far from truth. Those videos aren't objectivated as injector or valve cleaner proof.

Yes, I understand the injectors and valves weren't looked at. However, my question to everyone was if there is actual YouTube or some time of evidence other than the bottle claiming to do things. I always feel like it "helps" the idle for a few thousand miles but it could be the mind playing tricks.

So, anyone know if there's video where someone measures weight of valves before and after application, injector spray, etc? I YouTubed and didn't find anything good. Thought maybe someone had something???

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
So, my question, is there legit evidence that those cleaners work well?

Sure, unbolt the cylinder head and take a look.
grin2.gif

I'll get right on that...

Keep detailed mpg records. If you can't tell an improvement, then its "preventative" (aka warm and fuzzy) and not likely significant. The good ones "can't hurt", besides your wallet. So I buy on sale/rebate/clearance, then there's a greater chance of breaking even on the cost of the warm and fuzzy or actual improvement.

I have never seen actual concrete evidence they work. I've used techron and redline Si-1 before, but now I just make sure to always use top tier fuel.

Plenty of anecdotal evidence on PEA cleaners helping a leaky injector or cleaning up the spray pattern (I think trav has noted they do help) and also freeing sticky fuel gauge floats, right?

I've kept logs of every tank - I can't pick out a difference with PEA cleaners and MPG.
I was able to show that FP60 and Lucas UCL pretty much paid for themselves when used in my old Mazda. Just looking at tank averages, with and without. The data was not statistically significant, though.

Just remember - warm and fuzzy. Just like people who change oil and say its "quieter" or "smoother".

I feel like if they really worked we'd see better evidence. In my mind the ChrisFix videos are a decent test, especially the ones where he shows the tops of the valves. I know on the Redline SI-1 page, it shows a "before and after" or the tops of valves using the product. So basically, they're saying a crudded up valve would be almost spotless after running a bottle of the cleaner. if its not, or not even greatly improved, its not doing what they say.

Of course like some one else mentioned, if it DOES clean the injector, the valves and piston may follow through better spray patterns, but for an injector to be that bad, you'd probably notice an issue (poor power, response, mpg).

I posted few replies in another topic where I got the objective proof that the 3M cleaner I used was able to reduce the carbon from extremely clogged EGR passageway.

Does this mean that it WILL clean the carbon off the piston top or from intake valves? Not necessarily, but at least it MIGHT.

One can snapshot before and after MAP and fuel trim data and then objectively show if the cleaner worked or not without having to come up with visual proof.

My personal experience: Late 90's or early 00's my former LS400 barely passed smog test. I don't remember exactly the number, I think it passed some tests with less than 5-10% margin.

I bought a case of Redline SI-1 online, I used 1 bottle few weeks before next smog test, this time it passed with 90-95% margin.

From that experience I used 1 bottle fuel system cleaner a month before smog test, also I changed oil at the same time too.

I think spending $8-10 every 2 years to ensure passing smog test is money well spent. I always have some bottles of Techron or SI-1 or Gumout in my stash to use.

Last edited:
Look at UOA's and they are flagged with higher than normal fuel %. During the next OCI after using products like Techron and Regane fuel % drops back within the normal range.

This is enough evidence for me products like Techron and Regane work for leaky injectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back