How many quarts of ATF for Impala drain and fill?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2007 Impala with the 3.5L and will be dropping the transmission pan, replacing the filter, and refilling. The manual calls for over 7 quarts, but I know not all of it comes out. Anyone who has done this know about how many quarts of fluid will need to be replaced? Dexron VI is a bit pricey and I don't want to buy more than I need and have the hassle of returning it.

I guessed 5 to 6 quarts. Anyone have a more accurate amount?

From my experience with a few GM models, 7 quarts is about right.
Buy two gallon containers. Dex VI is reasonably priced at WalMart if you must.

Amsoil.com says initial fill for the transmission is 7.4 quarts with total capacity being 13.4 quarts.

So pick up 8 or 9 quarts & you should be good.

Last edited:
Alright, then it does all come out then give or take a half quart. I'm doing the job on Thursday and I grabbed 5 quarts tonight. I'll just grab another 2 quarts on my way home tomorrow night.

Thanks for the input. On one of my previous vehicles, less than half came out from what the capacity in the owner's manual said, due to how much the torque converter held. This doesn't seem to be the case this time. Thanks for the input.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 360kid
Alright, then it does all come out then give or take a half quart. I'm doing the job on Thursday and I grabbed 5 quarts tonight. I'll just grab another 2 quarts on my way home tomorrow night.

Thanks for the input. On one of my previous vehicles, less than half came out from what the capacity in the owner's manual said, due to how much the torque converter held. This doesn't seem to be the case this time. Thanks for the input.

Well it is technically the case. 7.4 quarts is what will come out when you drop the pan, total capacity is 13.4 quarts. So you get a little over half out on one pan drop & the rest remains in the torque converter.

That's what "initial fill" means. The initial fill when you just drop the pan.

Originally Posted By: 360kid

Grab 3 because if let it set and drain after taking off filter 7 will not be enough for sure they change alot of fluid on those transmisions

Originally Posted By: Branson304
Amsoil.com says initial fill for the transmission is 7.4 quarts with total capacity being 13.4 quarts.

So pick up 8 or 9 quarts & you should be good.

Amsoil.com is a lifesaver when it comes to looking that kinda stuff up. I use it all the time.

Try two gallons of maxlife. I used it in my Malibu and it works great.

I did the dump and fill last night and it was just about 7 and a half quarts. I measured the fluid that dumped and it was a smidge over 7 quarts, so I knew how much had to go back in. I added 6.5 and progressively checked it over a 30 minute period until finally made it into the crosshatch around 7.5 quarts.

I also found 3 missing bolts in the pan. I'm surprised it wasn't leaking on me. Luckily I found 3 compatible bolts in my loose nuts and bolts bin. I opted not to clean up the rubber and steel gasket and used a synthetic one instead and that seems to have sealed quite well.

Thanks for the help on the quantities, I would have been a few quarts short of I hadn't checked here first. Thanks.

If you can, let it drain overnight with the filter off, you will get more out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back