Need to run virtual Windows 10 on Linux Mint

Status
Not open for further replies.
The laptop I had posted about continues to have blue screen of death despite a few fresh installs of Windows 10. I haven't been able to fix the issue as there is not much information on the death screen except that it's a page fault.

So I installed Linux Mint. Installed Netflix through Wine. But there is one program that doesn't have a Wine workaround -- it's a VPN software called Hotspot Shield.

It looks like I will need to have a virtual Windows in order to be able to run it. I know I'll need to install VirtualBox but where do I get Windows 10 ISO image for it?

For a while, Microsoft offered ISO images on their own website. You just had to burn it and use your key that was included from your OEM or whatever key you had already purchased.

As an alternative to VirtualBox you can also use Virt-Manager which leverages the Linux kernel's built-in virtualization. It has a GUI and, although it is not quite as easy to get going as VB, it does NOT require you to add repositories or mess with closed-source stuff that you need to download from Oracle.

Doesn't Chrome play nicely with Netflix?

I had to install a separate Netflix app through Wine for it to work. It required MS true type font installation as well.

Now I remember why I abandoned Mint so quickly last year. It just doesn't have the 1-2 things I require for my daily life.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
Folks on Ubuntu (and therefore Mint), including myself, have no trouble with Netflix using Chrome.

+1

Netflix and Amazon Prime stream flawlessly in Chrome on my Mint 17.1 setup.

Ubuntu/mint flavors have built in VPN support. What VPN protocol are you using that the native client can't handle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back