2013 Sportster 1200 5000 miles Red Line MC 20w-50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DrDave
I would but I don't know how to do that

Yes DrDave, why can't they make this website so you can easily upload images? Lots of buttons for goofy things, and a button to upload an image from a URL.... Really? Do we need to post an image to a webpage so we can load it here? I can post a picture from Google, useful. Could someone please tell us how this black magic is done. In the meantime, here's a pic I WAS able to insert. Enjoy.....

Grumpy-Cat-Christmas-Cards-041.jpg

There are websites that are easy to upload pictures to, like photobucket, smugbug, shutterfly flickr etc..

If this site allowed local pictures it would greatly increase the cost of storage to hold all the pictures.

You can post a picture hosted and stored on photobucket or one of the other photo sharing sites without BITOG having to provide the hard drive storage for the pictures, the photo is displayed in your browser in the post but still hosted and stored on the photo sharing site.

Not to worry. With much appreciated assistance the serial UOA report and filter report will be posted this evening. I recall reading a very valid comment about the particle count and the relation of the air filter. During my oil sample time period the air filter was not changed or even removed. The air filter has been in service for just over 90k miles. The air filter is an Amsoil/Donaldson.

Dave

Originally Posted By: DrDave
Thank you:

On the report I just got a couple of days ago the numbers actually started coming back up. The >4u number jumped to 435 particles. That is the level I saw at the 20k mile point. I'm thinking that I am running in the partial bypass mode. It's time to change the filter. The filter is at the 41k mile point. I'm going to send the filter off for analysis. I'll share those when they come back.

Dave

This doesn't make sense to me. If the bypass is open, any size particle can pass, and all sizes should go up in the count.

But, if the numbers were entered using a keypad, the 4 is next to the 1, and it could simply be a typo?

I have the reports, ready to post - apologies for the delay... once DrDave gives it a once over to make sure I got all the personal info I'll post them up... or help him do it whichever we decide...

And apologies to the OP for the hijack...

Exactly. I think the important part is "this combination." The numbers will likely change for other engine applications; the amount is uncertain.

Dave

Why has this topic turned into extended filter intervals on a car/truck? Or an air filter left on a vehicle for 90k miles? What validity is it to a motorcycle?

We do not do extended drain/filter intervals on motorcycles..especially air cooled bikes!

Last edited:
Hello:

I believe I commented several months ago about oil and filter time in service on a couple of my bikes. The topic and reports were moved to another part of the forum. Please excuse the violation of airspace.

Dave

Originally Posted By: rossn2
Why has this topic turned into extended filter intervals on a car/truck? Or an air filter left on a vehicle for 90k miles? What validity is it to a motorcycle?

We do not do extended drain/filter intervals on motorcycles..especially air cooled bikes!

You clearly didn't read every post in the thread...nice work.

OP included particle count, which is probably MORE critical in a shared sump application, and clearly if the filter could do a better job by staying on one more interval, then it makes more sense than throwing it out.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: rossn2

You clearly didn't read every post in the thread...nice work.

OP included particle count, which is probably MORE critical in a shared sump application, and clearly if the filter could do a better job by staying on one more interval, then it makes more sense than throwing it out.

I did read it..and thanks for the personal attack..
I was simply trying to state the topic switched to findings on automobiles away from motorcycles. Would like to see UOA's of leaving filter on using same oil type on changes.
And, yes I have left an oil filter on for 10k run vs the normal 5k run, but no didn't have UOA done..

Last edited:
Hi:

I'm curios as to your statement of "we do not do extended drain/ filter intervals..." Is that a general we or a blanket we? I would agree with extended oil intervals on a bike but disagree on the extended filter interval. I routinely run extended filter intervals on my air cooled motorcycle and my air cooled airplane engine. I don't know what the significance of air cooled is. In a shared sump bike the oil seems to get beat up by the transmission. In my Sportster (sold) the separate engine oil lasted just fine. As good as the filter was doing my plan was to run it for 20k miles at least. That was projected based on serial particle counts.

As an aside, the biggest contributing factor on wear levels in the Sportster was a change from 15-40 to 10-30. The iron and copper levels while already low dropped significantly.

Dave

Last edited:
I do not know of anyone in area I live (TX) that does extended drain intervals on their bikes. If anything, they change the oil early due to extensive heat here. Of course, there's no UOA's to support their personal decisions. Air cooled Harley's run hot here, unless you remove the CAT and tune the bike so it runs cooler. Is no fun coming out of work and sitting in traffic in plus 100 degree weather..

Last edited:
has anyone wondered while the filters are "getting better" the oil flow may be getting "lesser'!!!!!

harleys are known to have low oil pressure "normally" unlike the car like pressure of a Victory engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back