SAPS vs OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
With a low miles OCI, will it matter whether you're using a "mid-saps" or "full-saps" oil? Ie do the saps get used up by driving? I have one car which gets changed only every 2 years, but still very low miles driven (not short trips though). Thinking of going to 3 years, actually. So should I pay attention to saps at all? Currently using Valvoline 5W40 MST.

I believe the SAPS level should reflect the sulphur level in your fuel and the amount of fuel you use.

High SAPS oils have high TBN and therefore counteract the acid build up in your oil due to the high sulphur in fuel.

Low SAPS oils are for low sulphur fuel. If used with higher sulphur fuel, then you should run a shorter OCI.
How short ? You probably need to do a UOA with TBN.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Silk
So what is a low sulphur fuel ? ppm. Just changed to a low SAPS but do low kms between changes.

In Australia, the Fuel Quality Standards Act 2000 set a maximum of 150ppm sulphur for regular unleaded since 2005 and 50ppm for premium unleaded since 2008.

In Europe I think they have 10 ppm sulphur fuel. Oz was 500ppm in the bad old days, better now, but not as good as Europe.

I think NZ would be similar to Oz.

If I was using a low or mid SAPS oil in a petrol car in Oz, I would also be using PULP.

But, just because the ULP limit is 150 ppm S, that doesn't mean the fuel is that bad, you just don't know.

Our is maybe 50 ppm, there is talk of it going down to 10 ppm this year, but it depends on our suppliers. Where I'll be getting fuel on sunday has 91 at 50ppm (no other company will tell), they also have 98 E10. They are the only company to do E10 here, and I keep well away from it, but of all the vehicles I've owned, the Volvo is more suitable for it. They do 98 E10 for what other companies sell 91 at...unmaned station by the race track.

They call it Brewtroleum...made from beer waste.

http://gull.nz/fuel/db-export-brewtroleum/

Last edited:
The last of the Corona tonight - a customer gave us a packet of Gingernuts today, they will have to up their game next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back