Yield & Stop Signs @ same intersection

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate seeing YIELD and STOP Signs at the same intersection.
It's a good way to have an accident.

At the Lowes by me, you pull off the main road and come to an Intersection with a Yield Sign (this lets you go in the direction of 3 stores). The other 3 roadways at this Intersection have STOP Signs.

Every single time I have to say to myself:
"Yield is slow down & proceed with caution"
"Stop is stop then go"

Without reading 'the Book',
I guess the purpose would be to get the traffic flowing quicker from the main road so it don't back up.

Question: Anybody else have this situation and does it bother you as much as it bothers me ? ? ?

Yeah, Ive seen that. Usually in shopping malls which it sounds like you are describing. And yeah, the purpose would be to keep the main feeder from backing up.
I always treat the stop signs in malls and parking lots as yields anyway so doesn't really bother me.

Virtually no one comes to a complete stop at a stop sign if it is possible to roll thru without getting hit. LEO's only seem to very selectively enforce that behavior.

Heck, stopping for a light that just changed to red seems to be passé also.

Originally Posted By: larryinnewyork

At the Lowes by me, you pull off the main road and come to an Intersection with a Yield Sign (this lets you go in the direction of 3 stores). The other 3 roadways at this Intersection have STOP Signs.

"Stop is stop then go"

That's crazy. The way I was taught, "Yield' means let others go before you go. Another words, others have the right of way. But if the others have "Stop" signs to adhere to, how is this going to work? Very confusing, I agree.

We have several shopping malls around here that have similar set ups, but the incoming feeder lane never has yield signs. Each other direction has stop signs. A lot of people with the stop sign seem to assume the feeder lane has one too, even though it has no sign whatsoever. I hate to think how badly people would handle it if it did have a yield.

Sound like a signage problem. The main way you yield to should have NO signage control other than possibly - MERGE.

My "issue" is waiting at red left turn arrows at a green light. If there is no one coming for 1/8 mile I will stop and go. Why waste my gas for "dumb" lights.

Another peeve is semi "smart" lights on state highways that will stop a 1/2 mile anaconda line of high speed traffic to let one car merge or cross from secondary street. I thought the traffic control cameras had vision systems to notice the oncoming traffic and override the secondary traffic control?!

Here is the biggest waste of fuel in the US that could be fixed cheaper than evertightening CAFE. To bad 20% the drivers are numb, and brainless most likely due to over-implementation of signal controls.

Last edited:
"Stop is stop then go"

Yeild is not "slow down"... it means you must defer to everyone. It is the equivilant to a "its never your right-of-way" sign. Might as well be a "you lose if there is an accident sign".

I have a good example. There is a stoplight near me with North/South bound traffic each having a right turn lane and a straigh/left lane. It does not have a Green arrow for left turns and both directions cue at the same time. It is just a solid green for left/straight traffic.... but no light for right-turns. The right turn has a Yield sign as the right turn peels off a bit early. So when the light is Green, Left-turns yield to straight traffic, and right turns yield to left turning traffic. I have witnessed a few accidents from right-turns not yielding to left turns. Crazy, I know and in every case, the right-turn folks roll though and they get upset... and then lose it when the officer likely cites them with the fault.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
That's crazy. The way I was taught, "Yield' means let others go before you go.

This^

Stop signs have the right-of-way over yield signs as long as you stop before entering the intersection. After you stop, you might actually have the right-of-way.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
My "issue" is waiting at red left turn arrows at a green light. If there is no one coming for 1/8 mile I will stop and go. Why waste my gas for "dumb" lights.

in NC, we have blinking yellows arrows (as well as green arrows). Only intersections with limited site distances will have a hard-red when there a green light. However, it acts as a solid green but cuts down on the confusion.

As for the smart intersection, it might just be an issue of DOT "tuning". Contact your DOT local office rep and ask about it. Only a few are centrally controlled and it is easy for power disruptions to "reset" to non-optimal intervals.

"Stop is stop then go"

That's crazy. The way I was taught, "Yield' means let others go before you go. Another words, others have the right of way. But if the others have "Stop" signs to adhere to, how is this going to work? Very confusing, I agree.

Agree.

Sounds like the signage the OP is describing is off the public road, so it was probably something the developer decided to put up rather than the DOT or whoever. That is very poor planning.

A lot of people really don't seem to understand what yield means. Some of the more psychopathic drivers around here think yield signs mean "right of way all the time, floor it and cut off anyone going through the intersection legally." They will not stop at a yield sign no matter what. I don't know when yield went from not having the right of way any time to having the right of way all of the time, but that's apparently how it works here.

those
Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
I gave up on signs in general. I drive to stay alive. To many Massholes.
That's what they call mass transplants in So. NH. We need more to wake up the breain dead NH drivers on my commute. I cant honk and yell at them all by myself, its very tiring.

Last edited:

"Stop is stop then go"

California has many stupid traffic laws(and other laws), but we don't have this type of signs.

Yes, "Yield" means the others have the right of way. If there are no other drivers then you keep going without stop, otherwise you need to stop.

In California I only see Yield signs on off ramp and they all are for right turn only.

KGMtech said, "Wait until you get traffic circles! these are growing like mushrooms in Ontario and the learning curve is horrible!"

How funny. New Jersey had many traffic circles. There was a period where they were removed systematically. One has to assume there was a design deficiency to them.

I wonder why they're being specified in Ontario.

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc

in NC, we have blinking yellows arrows (as well as green arrows). Only intersections with limited site distances will have a hard-red when there a green light. However, it acts as a solid green but cuts down on the confusion.

Same here. The flashing yellow replaced the "left turn yield on green" signs that were posted and allowed an unprotected left turn when the green arrow went out but the solid green was on. Its a better signal, but I'm still not used to it.

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
As for the smart intersection, it might just be an issue of DOT "tuning". Contact your DOT local office rep and ask about it. Only a few are centrally controlled and it is easy for power disruptions to "reset" to non-optimal intervals.

I have no problem with a single car from a side road stopping the "anaconda of high speed traffic" provided that there's a reasonable wait time. At some point, the cross-traffic has every right to proceed, even if there's still only one car. What's not reasonable is if its "tuned" to immediately stop the high-speed traffic as soon as a car pulls up to the light on the cross-street.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Yeah, Ive seen that. Usually in shopping malls which it sounds like you are describing. And yeah, the purpose would be to keep the main feeder from backing up.
I always treat the stop signs in malls and parking lots as yields anyway so doesn't really bother me.

Around here they just don't put any sign incoming, which is confusing enough because people stop anyway. This sounds even more confusing.

Larry, I hear you. I know the Lowes in OP has exactly what you're referring to. Most modern day parking lots are a navigational nightmare IMO.

Sound like a signage problem. The main way you yield to should have NO signage control other than possibly - MERGE.

Another peeve is semi "smart" lights on state highways that will stop a 1/2 mile anaconda line of high speed traffic to let one car merge or cross from secondary street. I thought the traffic control cameras had vision systems to notice the oncoming traffic and override the secondary traffic control?!

Here is the biggest waste of fuel in the US that could be fixed cheaper than evertightening CAFE. To bad 20% the drivers are numb, and brainless most likely due to over-implementation of signal controls.

Very good points. I also do the same thing with the left turns. I have one near my house that you can see for at least 1/4 mile and you're supposed to wait for the arrow to turn. Ridiculous. We also have the same thing with an ever increasing number of lights that instantly stop heavy traffic the second that a car gets to the light exiting a drug store or something. And there seems to be synchronizing of lights such that you get each one in a sequence red. Tremendous waste.

Originally Posted By: KGMtech
Wait until you get traffic circles! these are growing like mushrooms in Ontario and the learning curve is horrible!

Personally, I like traffic circles. Occasionally you get someone who doesn't know what to do. Sometimes that works in your favor as you can enter when ordinarily you couldn't. Other times it works against you. But for the most part, traffic circles are an improvement over a 4 way intersection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back