Planning a travel route, google maps or ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Planning a vacation on the Lincoln Heritage Trail.

Going by my Suzuki V-Strom.

I am trying to figure out my times, I'm not sure how long this will take and need some estimate of trip time.

I have used Streets and Trips in the past, but it's not updated like Google Maps, but if I do build the whole route in Google Maps, will I be able to save the entire route?

I won't loose the data in a browser crash? I really like Streets and Trips, it just isn't as up to date as Google, and I like the POI's of Google better.

Last edited:
So this is on a motorcycle? You want a printed trip?

In my car, I have found Waze to be far superior to google maps. But that is an app for android or apple cell phones.

Quote:
but if I do build the whole route in Google Maps, will I be able to save the entire route?

You can email it to yourself. Google will give you a link to your whole route, so you'll be able to bring it up just by clicking on that link. Should be accesible from a smartphone, too.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Road Atlas. Rand McNally. Been working for over 90 years.

Not very practical on a motorcycle.
Plus things do advance. Maps are not updated quickly, many roads are not listed, they don't show traffic and construction delays, difficult to carry around and fold back up. Do they work, sure, for major roads, and I have a Texas map in my cars just in case (probably need to buy new ones, they are at least 5 years old).
Get with the times, quit being a smart-aleck.

To the OP, are you printing out a map, sending it to a GPS (if so, which one?) or using a smart phone?
Google Maps will give you estimates of drive times (and you can even base them on what time you will leave or what time you want to arrive).
I personally like the Waze app if using a smartphone. Shows traffic delays, debris in road, cars on side of road, police, plus has different route options.

Last edited:
Ahh I was joking there hoss. I wasn't being serious.

I wouldn't seriously tell anyone to do this. I do this myself though. I memorized the entire United States interstate system by the time I was 8 years old. I knew all the states and capitals with ease by then too. I still know my way across this country without a map like Rand McNally. But I wouldn't seriously recommend this to anyone else.

Again, I wasn't being serious. I guess that wasn't obvious enough for you. In this day of phone maps and the like no one has an interest or desire to use an old fashioned map like myself. Which is why I even jokingly suggested an old fashioned road atlas. Next time I will spell that out in a clear and concise manner.

Last edited:
Ahh I was joking there hoss. I wasn't being serious.

I wouldn't seriously tell anyone to do this. I do this myself though. I memorized the entire United States interstate system by the time I was 8 years old. I knew all the states and capitals with ease by then too. I still know my way across this country without a map like Rand McNally. But I wouldn't seriously recommend this to anyone else.

Again, I wasn't being serious. I guess that wasn't obvious enough for you. In this day of phone maps and the like no one has an interest or desire to use an old fashioned map like myself. Which is why I even jokingly suggested an old fashioned road atlas. Next time I will spell that out in a clear and concise manner.

There are some here that are serious with replies like that. Like I said, I agree that having a paper map as a backup is a good idea, but as said, some are technophobes or just stuck in the past and use them only.

Sarcasm does not work on the internet. You usually come across as just a jerk. Just as above, your only reply was to use an outdated and less than accurate map. Very unhelpful. You can continue your passive-aggressive "humor" if you want, but just be aware how your coming across.

Again, whether YOU like it or do not possess the ability to see that was not serious..that's not my issue. For the obtuse like yourself I will spell it out as to what is meant. That way there's no other way to take something.

It's certainly not being passive aggressive in my initial post here.. that's just your attempt to read into something. Which is based upon your thought.

Again, whether YOU like it or do not possess the ability to see that was not serious..that's not my issue. For the obtuse like yourself I will spell it out as to what is meant. That way there's no other way to take something.

It's certainly not being passive aggressive in my initial post here.. that's just your attempt to read into something. Which is based upon your thought.

If you want to joke, use the joke smileys..... even an lol. Otherwise you are taken as being dead-serious.

I used WAZE my last trip. Better, worse, the same as GOOGLE maps? I thought so. Personal thing. But lots of detail. Warned of potholes, dead trucks on the side of the road, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back