What are these bolts called and P/N?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sky

Hi guys, I'm planning to replace a front strut on my Scion tC and I'm getting to do so next week. I can't for the life of me find pictures/part numbers of these bolts. I want spares in case they don't come off...

Any ideas? What are they called?

Bolts

Those are flange knuckle bolts. There are 4 options for bolts listed depending on outer diameter needed for camber settings.

Why are you replacing the strut? It does not look like it is leaking. It is generally advisable to replace struts in pairs.

Originally Posted By: sky
I want spares in case they don't come off...

Bolts

If they don't "come off" you won't be replacing the strut. So I'm not sure why you'd need replacements.

There doesn't appear to be much or any corrosion there.. I'd just give it a little more muscle. On Subarus the top bolt is a can bolt which affects alignment. As long as you mark the position of the bolt head before removal, you shouldn't need an alignment after.

Those are lower strut mount bolts and sometimes depending on the car manufacturer, they'll be splined into the spindle - which means they don't rotate; you have to punch them out of the spindle after you take the nuts off.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Those are lower strut mount bolts and sometimes depending on the car manufacturer, they'll be splined into the spindle - which means they don't rotate; you have to punch them out of the spindle after you take the nuts off.

+1 This. That's why you loosen nuts, not bolts.

Originally Posted By: mikered30
Why are you replacing the strut? It does not look like it is leaking. It is generally advisable to replace struts in pairs.

The picture is one I found on the internet. The main reason I am replacing mine is that the spring is cracked completely at the bottom and I found an entire strut/spring unit that was used and OEM. The boot on the strut is torn but I'm very concerned about the cracked spring. There are knocking noises from time to time whenever I go over bumps in that corner.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Thanks for the tip! I watched a video on youtube and they did exactly just that! (Take off the nuts and punch out the bolts)

Originally Posted By: MarkM66
Originally Posted By: sky
I want spares in case they don't come off...

Bolts

If they don't "come off" you won't be replacing the strut. So I'm not sure why you'd need replacements.

Sorry I wasn't clear - I just wanted them in case they snapped and I had no bolts to put back in.

Those are very heavy duty large bolts and they are straight they dont change alignment on those cars i have never had one break on a toyota

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back