Just like a real mechanic only 10x slower

Status
Not open for further replies.
The old Mantis tiller I inherited from my folks resisted all my tricks to start. Fresh from a draw with the Husqavarna 322 weed wacker. 47 $ for fuel hoses and a new Zama carb. Runs but there is vacuum leak somewhere , only runs good on choke. It will functin well enough to keep back the jungle.

The Mantis has an Echo engine with a Zama C1U-K54A. Instead of a remote bulb. The primer is on the top of the carb. Very slowly and carefully I went through the carb, a few hours at a time. 2 steps forward, 1 step back. Get this, the fuel passes through 2 check valves before it reaches the needle valve. They allow fuel to flow even when run at an angle. I bought a small engine fuel line kit. for 10 bucks at Lowes. One of the 3 bulbs was an exact fit.The hose was too small and I needed a bit for the return. Before I re-mounted the carb , I made sure I had the fuel hoses right. This was a major improvement. My first try didn't work. I needed to clean out, gulp, the needle valve. Gulp because there is a tiny compression spring an equally tiny arm and a pretty small needle. I managed to get it back together. Correctly. But thats no big deal , The parts only go one way. Several cleanings with carb cleaner left the diaphragms stiff as boards.Before the final assembly, I moistened them with a drop of oil from my oil can. This time, the bulb sucked fuel through the carb. I set the jets at 2 turns out and it runs. I ran in the idle stop screw and tweaked the jets. Runs smooth, starts, I'll be tilling the big bed this weekend.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back