We need to buy a new cloths dryer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always bought Whirlpool appliances, but the last dryer I bought was in 1997. We use it every week, it has had 0 problems. It just works. What have you bought recently and how is it working out? Appreciate any/all opinions.

TIA

I've had a Kitchen Aid dryer since 1991 which I believe is made by Whirlpool. Used several times per week. I can only hope the next one works as well. NO gadgets or fancy electronics...just a timer and heater controls. Not a whole lot to these with heaters, controls, drive motor, and belt. We had it apart once for a belt replacement. Wasn't too huge a job but I did get some help from my son.

I like to buy Whirlpool. I see you have had one in use for 19 years. That sounds like a reliable machine to me. I'd get another one. We've had Whirlpool made dish washers, clothes dryers, washers, refrigerators---made by Whirlpool, although often branded some other company---and never been disappointed by the length of life. Our dryer has worked flawlessly for the 2-3 years we've had it.

Last edited:
I have a whirlpool with all the electronics and cool stuff Works fine*. Bought it in 2002.

*knock on wood

We have a Whirlpool purchased in 1998 that is still going strong.

Daughter has an Amana purchased on 2001 that is also going strong. Neither has had any repairs required.

Oldest grandson has an Amana also purchased last year -- no issues so far.

Seems that most dryers have worked well, as compared to washers.

We have a Bosch we bought a number of years ago. No major issues, sometimes the moisture sensor throws a code though.

Bought a set of maytag washer/dryer two years ago, no problems so far. Check out lowes, looks like they have a sale going on right now, and if you order online use a coupon generator http://renovopower.com/lowes.html to get a coupon code for 10% off.

Last edited:
I think a lot of the Whirlpool appliances are at least assembled in USA if that is important to you. At least I've seen stickers saying so at either Lowes or HD. I'm stuck with GE since that's what my builder put in it. I'm pretty sure the moisture sensor doesn't work on the dryer and its only a little under two years old. The GE repair guy already had to come to my place (and apparently everyone on the block) to fix a part on the fridge that commonly fails within warranty thankfully.

An old style non electronic clothes dryer is a simple machine worth keeping. If something breaks, fix it. The new stuff ain't worth a poop.

I have a new front load high efficiency washer, wish I had kept the old one. Gone through 2 refrigerators but my old 1955 beer fridge is still running strong.

Don't knock the old stuff.

Had a Kenmore electric drier in the house when we moved in 19 years ago, and it was not new then. It was working fine when we got rid of it last year (neighbor gave us an almost new Maytag Neptune front load washer and gas drier). I had replaced the timer once years ago and the thermostat switch once too. The lint screen broke, got one off e-bay for like $8. Got rid of it last year when our neighbor gave us her almost new gas drier (and a washer).

I love the gas drier, clothing dries quickly and costs a lot less to operate than electric driers. The washer, not so crazy about (moldy gasket issue, just like most front load washers).

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
An old style non electronic clothes dryer is a simple machine worth keeping. If something breaks, fix it. The new stuff ain't worth a poop.

I have a new front load high efficiency washer, wish I had kept the old one. Gone through 2 refrigerators but my old 1955 beer fridge is still running strong.

Don't knock the old stuff.

We have a kenmore from 1971. It won't die. Our washer is a large, front load LG that's about 8 years old, but the old kenmore just chugs along.

First, this is for a SIL. She needs some help right now. Looks like everyone has pretty much the same experience as I have. I was hoping there was someone who had bought one in the last 4-5 years or so. I've located one at Sears in Toledo. It will be delivered, installed and the old one removed.

Thanks folks.

I've got an old Kenmore dryer bought in '93. Only thing ever needed was a drive belt and a door switch in all those years.

Outlasted the Kenmore washer.

Originally Posted By: sopususer
We have a Kenmore made by Whirlpool. No problems. Only bad dryer I ever had was a GE around 99-2000. Didn't last any time at all. Electronics died.

While often that is the case where the electronics go bad and it's uneconomical to repair, but that can happen even on a dryer with mechanical controls. They use cheap plastic gears in the timer that strip out, and replacement timers are > $100

We just replaced our mid 1980s model year Whirlpool Imperial gas clothes dryer. It's been with us through three homes and the only thing I ever replaced on it was gas valve solenoids. It developed a bad drum roller which I was going to fix, but wound-up replacing it instead with a refurbished Kenmore better sized for our ~8yr/old front load LG washer.

That's another thing to keep in mind. A lot of your old dryers are way undersized for today's clothes washers.

Speed Queen washer and dryer. Made in the USA
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back