Shampoo Warning....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
I only use real poo.

On a serious note, the necessity for daily hair washing for 'non extreme' activity is greatly over stressed... every third day with a cleanser with just a rinse in between in sufficient to keep 'the good oils' where they need to be.

Documents during Colonial times hint @ "once every two weeks"; All you originalists take note.

If I went 3 days between hair washings, Shell could open up a drilling rig on my skull. In the drier climate of CO, I could often go a day or so between, and look and feel clean. Not in Da Swampland -- everything is too greasy.

Originally Posted By: shiny
I often wondered what people used to use before the advent of modern shampoos. Then I learned about Baking Soda shampoo and Apple Cider Vinegar rinse. If any of you guys are preppers or you like to make your own stuff, try it. It's the best stuff I've ever used on my hair- and it's dirt cheap.

Shampoo: 1 level measuring cup baking soda dissolved into 1 gallon distilled water. Not tap water or RO, but distilled. Bring the water to a boil and stir occasionally until the baking soda totally dissolves and it becomes clear. Let it cool, then transfer some of it into a plastic sports bottle for the shower.

Rinse: 1 teaspoon per cup, or approx. 5 tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar per gallon of distilled water. Transfer into another plastic sports bottle for the shower.

Pour a little of the shampoo directly onto DRY hair and scalp, massage it in for a minute or so, then rinse. (Don't pre-wet your hair because there's already a lot of water in the shampoo.) It won't foam up but it will develop a slippery feel. That's because when the water and baking soda mix with the oil on your hair and scalp, it becomes soap! (water + fat/oil + lye = soap)

It's so mild that unlike detergents in shampoo, it won't strip the acid mantle on your scalp or overstrip your hair.

Once you've rinsed out the shampoo, pour some vineager solution onto your hair and scalp. Let sit for a minute, then rinse. You won't smell vinegar once it's rinsed out. The mild acidity of the vinegar solution smooths down the cuticles of the hair shafts and restores the acid balance of the scalp.

You might need to adjust the amount of baking soda and vinegar depending on how hard or soft your water is. This recipe works for hard water.

If you've used harsh detergent shampoo, dyes or a lot of "product" for a long time, switching to baking soda and vinegar will gradually restore balance to your scalp's oil production and health to your hair.
I have done the above and it works,but marketing has taken care of all that,,we gotta smell like flowers and spice now days,,lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back