Molybdenum increases gas mileage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah Gene what you stated made a lot of sense. I should've stated my response in a better way I guess. Too much of a good thing can lead to negative effects too. It's like life... we need a balance.

One oil that for some reason doesn't have moly in their formulations is Valvoline. They don't use boron either...just lots of sodium. Kind of strange that they stray so far away from the additive packages most leading oils use, yet people swear by it (at least some).

Personally I prefer oils with a higher moly content, just strictly because of the good things you read about it. Too me it means higher quality...don't know if that's the case, but in my mind it is. And that's really all that matters when you consider motor oils.

Originally Posted By: 123Saab
Just out of curiosity, Is there any moly in the Formula Shell 5w-30 that I use in my 4.0 Ford Ranger?

To tell the truth the 2013 PQIA Test of FSS looks very much like the current QSUD. 245 ppm.

Almost looks like the Old QSUD was PP and the New QSUD is FSS.

Originally Posted By: doublebase
One oil that for some reason doesn't have moly in their formulations is Valvoline. They don't use boron either...just lots of sodium. Kind of strange that they stray so far away from the additive packages most leading oils use, yet people swear by it (at least some).

Personally I prefer oils with a higher moly content, just strictly because of the good things you read about it. Too me it means higher quality...don't know if that's the case, but in my mind it is. And that's really all that matters when you consider motor oils.

The thing with Valvoline Synpower is if you look at their TEOST test results they beat Pennz Ultra and are better than Edge EP (TEOST Champ) in NOACK. I suspect it would be a real toss up which would give you the least deposits.

Didn't know it till well after I started using it in my GM engines, but PQIA tested the Schaeffer 9003D 5w30 syn and showed 309 ppm of moly in it. Also showed a significant dose of antimony also that didn't seem to be a part of any other oil I looked at. Not fully knowledgable on what benefit antimony plays.

Here you go, Arco, at least for the QSUD, which has moly through the roof again. I find I have to just scroll down the PQIA page and find what I'm looking for. Any other type of search just fails me miserably.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Also showed a significant dose of antimony also that didn't seem to be a part of any other oil I looked at. Not fully knowledgable on what benefit antimony plays.

High antimony levels are also one of RLI Oil's claims to fame.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Here you go, Arco, at least for the QSUD, which has moly through the roof again. I find I have to just scroll down the PQIA page and find what I'm looking for. Any other type of search just fails me miserably.
wink.gif

Thanks Garak. I can find PQIA but at WORK, but I get barracuda filtered server and the page is "blocked content." I can see it at home or on my SP. Its a work server annoyance.

Last edited:
Yep... it's over 240 ppm. One if the highest molybdenum levels on the market.

Of course there's more than one way to skin a catfish... titanium used by Kendall is quite effective. And of course there are others as well.

No problem, Arco. I can never find anything there without carefully checking down. Using Google or the pull down menu at the PQIA inevitably leads me down the wrong rabbit hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back