Pyb or Castro Dino engine pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know valvoline does a great job keeping stuff clean as does Mobil. But who has some pictures of engine run solely on one of these to for a period time. Just wanting to see how they look

Castrol and Valvoline Dino, from what I have seen, leave an orange varnish all over the engine. I have seen it in many pics.

I would just use Pennzoil products personally, across the board the products are great.

At this point I would also give Mobil a chance but the 4.4L jugs just bug me.

I don't have a picture, but the engines at work are run on Castrol dino 5w20 at 5k OCI's. By 100-120k they look sludge free through the fill hole but are heavily varnished.

Not sure I would blame the oil, using a dino at 5k under heavy police use and no consideration for idle time is pushing the oil too far IMO. I"d bet even a good syn blend would fare better under the same interval.

There are some pictures on here of vehicles run at shorter OCI's on PYB and they were spotless. Not sure to link to them but one was a Jeep. The vehicles were not subjected to police abuse however so not an apples to apples comparison. That said if cleanliness was my goal I'd likely pick PYB anyway. PYB is higher in detergents than just about any other dino oil.

I don't have pictures sadly, but I ran PYB (except maybe once or twice) every 3-4k miles from 126k when I bought the car to 180k when I changed the timing belt put on a new valve cover gasket and redid the oil pan gasket on my protege. When I pulled the valve cover off, everything had a layer of copper all over but there was no black anywhere.

Originally Posted By: Falken
At this point I would also give Mobil a chance but the 4.4L jugs just bug me.

They bug me enough that whenever you mention them I get a little ticked.
wink.gif

Some golden varnish on non-rotating or sliding parts is temp/oxidation artifacts and means little to actual wear points. Anything that rubs or slides will disturb the film enough that the same varnish will not form.

Dark brown/black hard varnish on say piston skirts is a whole nuther ball game. But it is not much of an issue with most modern name brand oils...

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Not sure I would blame the oil, using a dino at 5k under heavy police use and no consideration for idle time is pushing the oil too far IMO. I"d bet even a good syn blend would fare better under the same interval.

No hour meter?

Local Police here use a Dexos Blend 5W30 delivered by the Mobil Distributor, I suspect its GM Dexos. They have approval from Ford and Chrysler on the alternate Grade.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gene K
Originally Posted By: KCJeep

No hour meter?

Nope they go strictly by the odometer at 5k intervals (assuming the car gets brought in then they often go 6k or more before being serviced).
frown.gif

Hopefully someone will be able to get you the pictures you're looking for.

Or, you could pull the valve cover on your Dart every oil change, and let us know what your car looks like as you pile on the miles.

BC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back