Windows 7 Not Genuine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get this message in the lower right corner of my laptop every time I log on. Please tell
me what to do to get rid of it and maybe get a newer version. I want a free one! Thanks a lot

Did you buy your laptop used? Did you have a family member set it up for you or something? If either of those is the case it might not be genuine windows, i.e. it's illegally downloaded.

If you bought it new from a store, or even used from a reputable store, there should be a key on the bottom on a multicolored sticker, and you should just have to enter that to keep using windows.

upgrade to 10, since Microsoft is even offering the free upgrade to pirates
smile.gif

LINUX!!!!! ditch the [censored] Windows.
makes you wonder why MS is offering windows 10 for FREE? what did they put into the software to spy on you?

Last edited:
Uninstall update KB971033.

Or, type "SLMGR-REARM" at a command prompt and reboot.

Originally Posted By: Blueskies123
This happens when have stolen software, you can fix it by purchasing a license.

This is not true in all cases, in alot of cases it is a windows authentication error.
It is a known Win 7 problem.

Windows 7 displays "Windows is not Genuine" with an error code of 0x80070005
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2008385

Open Control Panel in your Windows from Start menu.
Click on System & Security. ...
Click on Windows Update.
Click on View Installed updates. ...
Now, look for KB971033 update. ...
Click on Uninstall.
It will show a popup.

I had this problem at least 4 times and I purchased my license from Microsoft directly.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

Will need a genuine version of Windows 7 to do it. If it is not the KB issue discussed in the thread a pirated copy will not work. Win 10 might still install/upgrade but it won't then get activated and thus no support/updates. Windows 10 upgrade, or installation via the ISO you can create via the media creation tool for clean installs, require a genuine version of Win 7/8/8.1 or a valid product key to register. Installing it on a system running a bootleg copy of Win 7 won't accomplish anything.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

Will need a genuine version of Windows 7 to do it. If it is not the KB issue discussed in the thread a pirated copy will not work. Win 10 might still install/upgrade but it won't then get activated and thus no support/updates. Windows 10 upgrade, or installation via the ISO you can create via the media creation tool for clean installs, require a genuine version of Win 7/8/8.1 or a valid product key to register. Installing it on a system running a bootleg copy of Win 7 won't accomplish anything.

Yes, if your OS is currently marked as not genuine you are SOL, but as others have alluded there are easy workarounds. That workaround then allows legit upgrades to Windows 10 with no issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back