Gin: which do you like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: car51
DBMaster: I like the Bombay gin so far. Only whiskey I really can say that's smooth and good is Jameson

I would have to argue that Woodford Reserve is one dang smooth whiskey.
Oh, and to stay on topic Bombay is my favorite! Shaken with two olives please...

I have a new one this week that just hit the states in the last couple of months. It's called The London No. 1. It's blue from macerated gardenia flowers and "certified colour." But, beyond the show it's a very nice gin. It's 47% ABV and has bergamot oil added in addition to the usual lemon and orange peel. It is great neat, but would make an excellent G&T.

What do you think of Blue Coat gin? I got some of this for a birthday present, had it before and I like it

Bluecoat comes from Philadelphia Distilling. It is a great example of the "new American dry" style of gin. They make their own base alcohol (as most American distilleries do with gin and English distilleries DO NOT). Their botanicals bill includes more citrus notes and less juniper than the older London dry style. It has a nose with a lot of cool lemon - sort of like lemon cookies. It's bottled at the English preferred strength of 47%, but it drinks very easily. I have had two bottles. I prefer the sharper, more juniper forward gins but Bluecoat is excellent.

Thanks for the info sir
smile.gif

Any time. I want this to be my semi-retirement job - spirits expert for a large liquor store. If my liver holds out I might just get there.

I like absinthe OCCASIONALLY. I haven't tried very many due to the cost ($50 or more). The one I have liked best so far is St. George. Lance Winters, the master distiller, played around with absinthe recipes during the ban years and made St. George the first American distillery with absinthe ready in 2007 when the ban was lifted. I recently tried some Copper & Kings and didn't like it at all. Fortunately, Total Wine is a chain that encourages you to return anything you don't like. I've spent a lot of money there so it's fair!

So, I can't really speak with much authority on this spirit. I don't even care for adding water to obtain the louche. I prefer it neat when I'm in the mood. Most are at least 50% alcohol and I think St. George is 60%.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Originally Posted By: SR5
I like Tanqueray and Gordon's Gin. For some reason I find Bombay Sapphire a little on the rough side. But I'm still happy to drink it.
Gordon's is one of those real value gins. It's made according to the original English recipe. I believe that Gordon's is James Bond's preferred brand.
Picked up a bottle last night for $11. Now made in Canada. Neat it does have a good juniper hit. Rather weak on the botanicals though. Might add a few strips of orange zest to the bottle and do an long-term citrus "ethanol extraction" experiment.

Made for a fine G&T.

Today, it's amphibian weather: temp: 82°, dew point: 81°F Rh: 97%, heat index: 94°. I wish it would just rain; the grass needs it!

Wow. I tried a new gin yesterday and it is excellent. It's called Austin Reserve. Each bottle has its batch, bottle number, and precise ABV hand written on the label. There are just six botanicals used; juniper, rosemary, Texas grapefruit, pink peppercorn, lemongrass, and lavender. The rosemary compliments the juniper, especially on the nose. The pink peppercorns give the nose a fruity "pop" and the palate some heat reminiscent of chilies. My bottle is 50.4% ABV. I highly recommend it if you can find it.

http://revolutionspirits.com/austin-reserve-gin/

Originally Posted By: mcrn
Hendricks

That is a good one! From Scotland and adds cucumber to the list of botanicals. It's actually one of the gins in recent history that has helped reinvigorate the category by tasting less like "Grandpa's pine tree mouthwash."

Certainly enjoy your posts DBMaster!!

I used to drink G&Ts in my College days. My main drink then.

I maybe had only a few in the last 50 years. Then last week I had a Tonic & Tanqueray at a function. It tasted pretty good. So I bought a bottle of Bombay Dry Gin...also tasted good. I don't think I can make any comparative judgement. I can easily discriminate beers. But I have zero feel for good or bad liquors. I suppose I might just as well buy Bankers Club.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Al
I suppose I might just as well buy Bankers Club.
frown.gif

Banker's Club is from Laird & Company, the oldest licensed distillery in the U.S. Forget Jack Daniel and the bogus claim. 150 years? HA! Laird has been making applejack under license since 1780. They added white spirits to their portfolio during the lean years - the 80's and 90's when people were eschewing brown spirits in favor of vodka. It can't be any worse than the Gilbey's that I drank the heck out of with tonic when I was in college. Laird's knows how to make clean liquor, for sure.

If you think Applejack is good, try some of the straight apple brandy, either the 7.5 year old or 100 proof. Applejack is made with 35% apple brandy and 65% grain neutral spirit (aka vodka). It is good, but the straight apple brandy is far more "appley." It is sold at both Goody-Goody and Spec's in the DFW area. Not sure where to get it in Central Texas.

DBMaster,

Have you ever tried New Amsterdam gin? It's my favorite "bang for the buck". I love Tanqueray, especially #10, but care rarely justify the price. Bombay Sapphire is another I really like, but I discovered New Amsterdam is about 2/3 of the price and makes a decent gin and tonic or a gimlet.

I haven't tried New Amsterdam. though I have seen it plenty. I avoid 80 proof (40%) gins. That is just a bias on my part. I feel that the lower alcohol content does not keep enough of the botanical oils in solution (or, suspension) and results in a spirit with less challenge. Again, it's a personal prejudice. A guy whose opinion I respect (Justin Kline of ginreviews.com) indicates that it is a citrus forward, gently flavored New American Dry style gin. He and I email each other when trying new gins. Bluecoat is also one of these gins. They tone down the juniper and dial up the citrus. This style of gin has revitalized the category and introduced a lot of new gin fans to the spirit. It may not be my cup of tea, but it's a quality product at a good price. Give this a shot; use this gin in a bloody mary. A bloody mary made with gin is called a red snapper. The red snapper is claimed to be the first version of this cocktail, invented at the bar at the Ritz Carlton in NYC. I don't know about that, but I swear that it's a better drink.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back