Driver Allegedly Catches Police Officer Lying

Status
Not open for further replies.
About His Speed.

Quote:
A driver accused of driving 93 miles-per-hour might have avoided a nasty ticket thanks to his dashcam. The driver has a dashcam that monitors his speed with a GPS tracker, giving him proof of his actual speed. When he mentioned that he had a GPS that tracks his speed, the officer quickly backtracked, and eventually just gave the driver a warning.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/driver-allegedly-catches-police-officer-050202901.html

He needs to file a complaint. Any public servant abusing authority/ misusing authority must be confronted and held accountable.

Originally Posted By: umungus1122
He needs to file a complaint. Any public servant abusing authority/ misusing authority must be confronted and held accountable.

Agreed. When faced with blatant corruption and abuse of authority, a complaint needs to be lodged with the correct authorities, and possibly the attorney general of the state which it occurs in.

Do we have to become like drivers in Russia where nearly everyone has a dash cam due to this type of behavior?

Cop wasn't running radar, saw him drive past at a high rate of speed so he pulled him over and made a number up.

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
Originally Posted By: umungus1122

Agreed. When faced with blatant corruption and abuse of authority, a complaint needs to be lodged with the correct authorities, and possibly the attorney general of the state which it occurs in.
They'll conclude nothing was out of order when they investigate themselves.

Officer shouldn't have made a specific number up if he didn't have a real one. He was lying about having a real number But I would be willing to bet dollars to pennies that guy was speeding. The officer was completely wrong in making up a number. I wonder what the magical gps would have said what that guys speed really was. If the officer hadn't started off pulling a number out of thin air I bet he would have had gotten the speed the vehicle was going with the gps system. But because he started with a false number he had no where to go with it. He had to back down due to his own foolishness/lying about having a specific number.

Let's say this was a 55 mph zone... and dude was going 68. Short bus officer comes up and claims he was going 93... driver shows he has gps system that tracks his speed/location. Officer looks like an idiot/lier. Does this mean the driver was innocent?? No. Absolutely not. He was speeding. Just not to the severe degree the officer made up. I am willing to bet this is what happened here. Both were guilty. One of being stupid/lying and the other of speeding worthy of a ticket but not reckless driving.

Last edited:
I got pulled over a couple weeks ago, officer says I was going 81 in a 65. There's no way I was going that fast. She wrote me a ticket for going 74, which I have to do driving school online and the ticket will drop off.

I do think I was going about 74, but I don't think I deserve a ticket for going that fast. Oh well. My car is all smashed in the back from being rear ended, and my passenger window doesn't work (the one she walked up to) so I told her to open the door. Maybe she wasn't thrilled about that, I don't know.

Nick,

Why not just hand over a $20 bill and wink at her to let you go without a ticket ?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Nick,

Why not just hand over a $20 bill and wink at her to let you go without a ticket ?
wink.gif

When I was in Chicago long time ago(probably 35-40 year ago), $20 bill under driver license would get you a verbal warning.

This is a common tactic among police and isn't on it's face illegal.

Police aren't required to tell the truth in the interview, but it's different then sworn testimony or what's written down on the ticket. Even in TV cop shows, you see all the times cops can tell lies about what they have an interrogation to get a person to confess.

It's taking a page from negotiation, part of the psychology is even though they know you were going 75. They start the negotiations at 85. So then you can say, no way I was going at most 75.
Then they write down on the ticket can say Driver admits he went 75mph on the ticket. And if he wants to add on, he can say ok I'm cutting you a break and you feel "grateful" that he didn't write you up for 85.

It's the same question of "Do you know why I pulled you over?" It's a trick to get you to admit and confess to the violation

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bbhero
Officer shouldn't have made a specific number up if he didn't have a real one. He was lying about having a real number But I would be willing to bet dollars to pennies that guy was speeding. The officer was completely wrong in making up a number. I wonder what the magical gps would have said what that guys speed really was. If the officer hadn't started off pulling a number out of thin air I bet he would have had gotten the speed the vehicle was going with the gps system. But because he started with a false number he had no where to go with it. He had to back down due to his own foolishness/lying about having a specific number.

Let's say this was a 55 mph zone... and dude was going 68. Short bus officer comes up and claims he was going 93... driver shows he has gps system that tracks his speed/location. Officer looks like an idiot/lier. Does this mean the driver was innocent?? No. Absolutely not. He was speeding. Just not to the severe degree the officer made up. I am willing to bet this is what happened here. Both were guilty. One of being stupid/lying and the other of speeding worthy of a ticket but not reckless driving.

Assume that what you said is correct, if this case go to court this dude will found not guilty if he shows the court that what officer claim was not correct, assume that the ticket was written for 93 mph in whatever speed limit is in that section.

Court doesn't allow officer goes fishing, just have a random number out there and hope that it may stick, if not then defendant still violated the speeding law but with different number.

It's not illegal until he writes it on the ticket as the sworn testimony.

http://criminal.findlaw.com/criminal-rights/faqs-police-interrogations.html

What tactics can the police use when questioning a suspect?

The police are prohibited from using physical or psychological coercion when conducting police interrogations. A confession or evidence that results from coercive tactics is inadmissible at trial. The police, for example, may not use torture techniques, threats, drugging, or inhumane treatment during an interrogation. The police, however, can use lying, trickery, and other types of non-coercive methods to obtain a confession from a suspect.

Last edited:
The elephant in the room is that the article mentions the footage was posted by a Website that sells DashCams.

And they seem to infer that it may be less than factual.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
About His Speed.

Quote:
A driver accused of driving 93 miles-per-hour might have avoided a nasty ticket thanks to his dashcam. The driver has a dashcam that monitors his speed with a GPS tracker, giving him proof of his actual speed. When he mentioned that he had a GPS that tracks his speed, the officer quickly backtracked, and eventually just gave the driver a warning.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/driver-allegedly-catches-police-officer-050202901.html

Why didn't you quote the bit about the DashCam selling Website posting he footage and the fact it is thought to be less than genuine ?

It happened to me and Nick1994 so this is not uncommon.

But You need to to understand that it's not illegal and part of the interview process. Only if they write it down then you can complain.

If you were driving completely legally then you have nothing to admit to.
There are so many worse things they do in the interview that are shadier then this; especially if you are a minority.

So, if this somehow "shocks" you that this is a legal police practice, then you've led a very sheltered life.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Nick,

wink.gif

Haha I was just about to ask Nick is she was hot
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: bigjl
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
About His Speed.

Quote:

Why didn't you quote the bit about the DashCam selling Website posting he footage and the fact it is thought to be less than genuine ?

I quoted a summary of the story. I provided a link so anyone can click on it to see the whole story for him/herself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back