What came first, oil or electricity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, you're taking a rather narrow anthropocentric view.

OK, first commercial electricity generation by us (British) humans 1881 using a water wheel.

First recorded use of petroleum by us (Babylonian) humans about 4000 years ago.

First recored drilling for petroleum by us (Chinese) humans about 1400 years ago.

So oil.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Just wondering if oil was needed for the turbines to creates electricity OR was electricity needed to power the drills and pumps to mine crude to help get us where we are today?

I assume this is circa 1850s.

Edison's Pearl Street generating station used coal-fired reciprocating steam engines to drive the generators in 1883. Niagara Falls hydroelectric I think started up around 1900. The first well in Pennsylvania was drilled by Drake in 1859. It was reciprocating steam engines of the type perfected by James Watt in the late 1700's that mostly powered the industrial revolution. They could run on anything that would burn; coal, wood, wheat chaff, oil, etc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Originally Posted By: Pontual
First came the Steam. Drill with steam, thread with steam, cut and press with steam, drive with steam, rail roads and ships. Electricity came after, than oil, thanks to downsizing.

Thank ya Sir!

Yer Welcome, Sir!

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Primaeval soup.
Lightening. (As in, "harness the lightening, Frankenstein!")
Amino acids
Time.
More Time.
Luck
Life (Not Time-Life)
Time
More Time
Oil

So electricity. That's the theory, anyway.

You must be very religious to believe that theory. I applaud you for your faith. I agree, definitely electricity.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
It was the chicken.
Where did the chicken come from? The egg. The hardest thing to figure out is why did the chicken really cross the road.

Why does the chicken get all the attention ? When it comes to bacon & eggs, the hog was far more committed ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back