Life of Brake Fluids and power steering/atf

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found
2 quarts of Mercon V Motorcraft "Transmission and Power steering" both opened but full (?????)
12 oz bottle of Mercon V Motorcaft "power steering" Im assuming same as above
12oz bottle of Motorcraft brake fluid DOT3 (half full)
1 Quard of Toyota T-IV. Also opened for at least 2 years. Cap sealed tight.

Im going to guess these containers have been open for at least 2 years. I dont really even have anything anymore that uses Mercon V. Dextron 3 and T-IV are my applications. Are these even good anymore for how long they've been open - should I dump it with my old ATF fluid?

What about the Brake fluid. That cap was sealed pretty tight. Could I mix it with Prestone brake fluid DOT3 (Fresh)?

Lastly, GS300 takes T-IV. Drain and refill with Maxlife okay? I asked Valvoline and they said it meets T-IV. Could I use up that T-IV I already have and fill rest with Maxlife?

Lots of questions I feel I shouldve made seperate threads.
Thanks all for input.

I'd use those ATF's. The brake fluid is another matter. Most would say it's picked up too much moisture in those 2+ years. Still, I'd probably use it as first fill next time I did a brake flush or something.

Mercon V meets the specs of Dex 3 G/H. I'd have no problem using that for a PS flush/bleed calling for Dex 3. I don't see much difference between the orig Dex 3 and the original Mercon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back