OCI 1999 Camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

My camry has 144K miles on it. when i got it at around 135, a bottle of castrol gtx was sitting in the trunk. I used that a few times with 3k changes.The engine was burning oil. I wish I could tell you how much. I dont know why but the rebate on the Pennzoil Ultra really caught me and I did my last change with that in april. Engine seems perfectly fine, no leaks or anything. I initially thought of doing a 6K change. Maybe I should do sooner? I likely will send in a sample of my oil at the next change.

During school, I have a 5 mile trip to college. Otherwise short trips to stores. Everyonce in a while I will take it on a 10mile highway drive to scrap yard :p

What do you folks think? I dont think ill use PP next time. Probably maxlife blend. Hows that?

2.2L or 3.0L? Yours is a part of the sludger years, as is mine. The 2.2L wasn't nearly as bad as the 3.0L though, so I wouldn't be too concerned. I used to have a 97' Camry 2.2L, currently have a 00' Camry 2.2L. I've run 5,000 miles on conventional and the UOA came back great. I actually got back my UOA for Pennzoil Platinum today, I ran that oil for 7,500 miles and could have gone further. I take long trips in my car and don't short trip it though. For you, I'd go with synthetic and run it for 6,000 miles.

Here's the link to my UOA:

LINK

I would run a synthetic to clean it up and see how consumption is affected. My car needs a synthetic in Ohio winters, plus I travel north often times. Either way, the timing belt is MUCH more important. Dayco makes a fantastic kit for the 2.2.

I think Nick1994 has it pretty well pegged.. On my lady's Camry it burns through about a quart of oil every 3k miles. So I'd bet your is about the same too.

Ohh and Dorian is right too. Get timing belt changed if it's been awhile. Say like over 80k miles plus.

If you have the 3.0v6(1MZ)given the sludge issues that are well known, use a quality synthetic and make sure the PCV is good and you can do 7,500 mi OCI's no problem. Monitor usage and top off as needed. PP is an excellent choice. I use this in my wife's 2003 highlander with the same V6 and it doesn't use any oil with 160k on the clock with once a year oil changes.

I also owned a 99 Camry V6, same motor and when I pulled the VC's to replace a leaky one the motor was very, very clean at 130k miles. Car used M1 from new. Never used oil and no sludge.

With either 4cyl or 6cyl PP or maxlife would serve you well. Using a high mileage oil "may" reduce oil consumption. Might be worth a try if it is of great concern. Try doing 5-7k OCI and see what happens. Save your self a couple of bucks by going longer than 3k miles.

I knew I forgot to mention something. 2.2 L. And yes timing belt was last done at 75k so needs a change. Seems like intense work...

change your oil every 6 months, get the cheapest SN rated oil. Check the oil once a month and top it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back