DOT 3, 4, 4+, Super 4, or 5.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my 2013 VOLVO S80 is 3 years old and I'm gonna change its brake fluid soon.

The owners manual is crazy saying:
Quote:

Fluid type: DOT 4+ boiling point >536 °F (>280 °C), P/N 9437433

I couldn't find what DOT 4+ is but it can't be better than DOT 5.1, right? According to wikipedia, DOT 5.1 boiling point is 500 F. So, how to find a fluid with boiling point greater than 536F as Volvo specifies??

Also, I'm wondering if my Volvo really needs DOT 4+. I don't tow, don't drive in a mountainous area, don't race. Maybe I'm wrong but I really don't see the need.

My 5000 lbs Chevy Traverse can stop no problem with DOT 3. So why would a 3000 lbs Volvo sedan need a DOT 4+ fluid ?

Can anybody enlighten me, please?

There is no such thing as DOT 4+

With that they meant DOT4 or above...and only compatible standard above 4 is DOT 5.1

And DONT use DOT 5....it is not interchangable!

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Replace brake fluid with Valvoline DOT 3/4 and forget it. No sense picking **** with the chickens Excel.
That would be my go-to product but unfortunately it's been discontinued and can't be found anywhere here.

What your Volvo probably needs is DOT4 LV. It's a low viscosity DOT4 brake fluid. European makers and even Ford has switched to it in certain vehicles. LV brake fluid ensures proper ABS and stability control operation in the vehicles that call for it.

Originally Posted By: iExcel
Replace brake fluid with Valvoline DOT 3/4 and forget it. No sense picking **** with the chickens Excel.
That would be my go-to product but unfortunately it's been discontinued and can't be found anywhere here.
I replaced brake fluid this spring with 5 pints of Valvoline brake fluid purchased at AZ. Not aware that Valvoline has discontinued brake fluid. Haven't visited AZ since but I have my doubts about Valvoline dropping its brake fluid line.

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
Then buy any brand of DOT4....

And dont forget that DOT 5.1 absorbs water more than DOT4!

Wondering if a DOT 3 would be sufficient ?

It's been working well in all my GM vehicles and I change it every 2-3 years.

btw, I walked in a local parts source and saw a bunch of DOT 4 fluids of the same brand. There are DOT 4 for Asian vehicles, for Domestic vehicles, for European vehicles. And the best part is that they're priced differently. The European one is most expensive. Really? Isn't DOT 4 just DOT 4 ??? Why so many flavors? I wonder if they just put in the same fluid and label them differently?

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Buy a liter of Pentosin Dot 4 LV at your local NAPA and be done with it.

It's not rocket science!
Yeah... I guess I'll just buy a litre of DOT 4 and sleep well at night. Thanks!
beer3.gif

Wondering if a DOT 3 would be sufficient ?

It's been working well in all my GM vehicles and I change it every 2-3 years.

btw, I walked in a local parts source and saw a bunch of DOT 4 fluids of the same brand. There are DOT 4 for Asian vehicles, for Domestic vehicles, for European vehicles. And the best part is that they're priced differently. The European one is most expensive. Really? Isn't DOT 4 just DOT 4 ??? Why so many flavors? I wonder if they just put in the same fluid and label them differently?

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Buy a liter of Pentosin Dot 4 LV at your local NAPA and be done with it.

It's not rocket science!
Yeah... I guess I'll just buy a litre of DOT 4 and sleep well at night. Thanks!
beer3.gif

I had been using DOT 3 in my 2000 E430 for more than 10 years without any problem. The recommended was DOT 4 just like all other German vehicles.

Kamele0N said:

DOT4 is DOT4....what you saw is just taxation for dummies
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

I had been using DOT 3 in my 2000 E430 for more than 10 years without any problem. The recommended was DOT 4 just like all other German vehicles.
Interesting. How about Power Steering Fluid? Did you use MB Fluid or just regular stuff ?

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
What your Volvo probably needs is DOT4 LV. It's a low viscosity DOT4 brake fluid. European makers and even Ford has switched to it in certain vehicles. LV brake fluid ensures proper ABS and stability control operation in the vehicles that call for it.

LV is for ABS pump/control modules that have Electronic Stability Control. the pumps on them have smaller orifaces, which a LV fluid will provide better response.

a normal DOT4 will still work, but response will be slightly delayed (though in some cases, makes driving more fun)

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Interesting. How about Power Steering Fluid? Did you use MB Fluid or just regular stuff ?

I used Pennzoil Power Steering Fluid, I siphon-refill the reservoir 3-4 times in several days. I do it about once every 4-5 years. Everything in power steering system is good, no noise.

The reason I used DOT 3 brake fluid in E430 was I never drove the car faster than 110-120 miles for more than few minutes then brake hard, the car was almost never had to brake hard(from 70-80 MPH) more than 2-3 times in a row. No need for higher temp of DOT 4.

What power steering fluid does your Volvo require? If it specs Pentosin CHF 11S, that's the only thing I would use.

If your car requires Dot 4+, I suspect they mean Dot 4 LV, and that's the only thing I would use.

Seems strange to try to save ~$10 on safety items.

Last edited:
To my understanding, DOT 4 Plus and Super DOT 4 are basically DOT 5.1. There may be a requirement they do not meet to be labelled DOT 5.1, so they came up with Plus and Super.

Exactly, when in doubt look in your manual or I should say pull out your smart phone and look it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back