difference between StraightTrak and Elite RF balan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't tell on their website...calling them might be in order!
Anyone know the difference between the StraightTrak (which my mechanic has but am unsure he used on my Altima) and the Elite (which is the latest and greatest and one mechanic down the road has)?

this is for whole-car vibration.
OEM tires were worn, told it was that. Put winter tires on, typical of winter tires. Then new CS5 Ultras...all the same feeling.
I have another thread re vibration but thought this thread's title might garner more specific responses.

TIA

Last edited:
Do you feel that the struts have been examined closely enough to rule that out? I've had a failure on two different cars recently. One had only 30k. Both had leaks but weren't obviously bad.

rsylvstr,

First, what you should be doing is finding out if they have a Hunter GSP9700. It doesn't matter what variety they have. Even the old ones will do what you want to have done.

Second, StraightTrak has nothing to do with vibration. That deals with conicity and vehicle pulls.

So now that we are back at this ...... Is the vibration felt in the steering wheel or the seat? If the steering, the problem is in the front, and the seat is the rear. The thing to do is to rotate tires to see if it changes location. That way you know it is the tires and wheels (or something on the wheel end)

If rotating the tires doesn't change anything, the problem is not in the tires and wheels. That makes it more complicated to find, but eliminates a possibility.

But if the vibration is in both the seat and the steering wheel or neither of those 2, it is more likely it is something else and spending time chasing wheel balance will not get you anywhere.

What the Hunter GSP9700 should tell you is the amount of road force for each tire and wheel assembly. You should pay attention to the values. The high ones are the ones of interest.

BTW, we don't know what vehicle we are talking about - and that's important in determining what values are too high. They are different for a car than they are for a truck.

Thank you. Altima. In my signature and OP.

I think struts need to be looked at more closely too.
All three sets of tires vibrate the whole car not just steering wheel.

Sitting in passenger seat now. Feels worse over here.
Wife reminded me there was no change when I rotated (after dealer did).

rslvstr,

So the whole car is vibrating and it's a Nissan Altima.

Best guess is that it is NOT tires and wheels.

So does the vibration occur mainly in the 50 to 70 mph range? Are there certain roads where you feel it?

Put a different way: When do you feel the vibration and when don't you feel it?

That's the annoying part.
Doesn't make a difference on road surface or speed.
No clunks.
No difference when turning.
No braking issues.

Need to check for slow suspension leak.

After checking out your site (cool BTW) I should include the following
OEM tires were Michelin Prmacy
Winters are continental winter contact or something like that.
Now have asymmetrical. Cooper CS five ultra touring

Last edited:
OK, the last posts further convince me we aren't talking about a tire problem - which normally appear in the 50 to 70 mph range.

So I'm thinking CV joints, a dead shock, a broken bushing.

But first try seeing if you can get the vibration when the car is sitting still. Try slowly building up the rpms when in neutral. If you get the vibration then, the problem is likely in the engine.

Good Idea. Doesn't seem to be the engine at a standstill.

I wish I didn't have two threads going on this.
My apologies.

I drove the car today on thruway, states highways and back roads.
Still no clunks. No pulling. No braking issues.

I feel it gets slightly better when turning the steering wheel (at all speeds) approximately 1/4-1/2" either way. I feel it is the same improvement going in either direction.

So does that mean more towards a tie rod issue?
Again, has been going for about 10-12k miles and hasn't appeared to get worse. But in all reality I don't drive her car that much.

Originally Posted By: rsylvstr
....... I feel it gets slightly better when turning the steering wheel (at all speeds) approximately 1/4-1/2" either way. I feel it is the same improvement going in either direction.

So does that mean more towards a tie rod issue? ......

Probably not. While a worn tie rod end would react to a vibration - making it appear worse than it is - it isn't the source.

This is starting to sound like a CV joint.

Thanks CR. Taking to Nissan this week even though not under warranty. I believe it is just transmission for 60
K. At 58,600 now.

Any Chance this is tranny?
Have had mostly good experiences with our dealer.

Originally Posted By: rsylvstr
Thanks CR. Taking to Nissan this week even though not under warranty. I believe it is just transmission for 60
K. At 58,600 now.

Any Chance this is tranny?
Have had mostly good experiences with our dealer.

Maybe

They can't find anything.
At least I have t documented as a concern prior to warranty expiration.
Probably doesn't mean much.

I'm going to get crazy and try premium fuel (yes I know I know) as one person online found that to help.
The other thing and they swear they put the required amount is the oil. ALWAYS over on the dipstick. Always. Every lil change at his dealer. Might dump half a quart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back