100 mpg engine in the making.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some one will deem it too (place evil thing here). Or someone will buy patent and lock it up like the everlasting brakes.

The question remains is how expensive is it to manufacture such an engine and how expensive will it be to maintain it?

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Or someone will buy patent and lock it up like the everlasting brakes.

Wait, what? Lol

And don't forget water injection.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Put the 100 mpg carb on it and get Two Hundred.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
And wrap the fuel line around around a magnet, and put the tornado thing in the air intake

You forgot the 0w16 oil!

New British stealth subs use the sterling engine because it's so quiet, and much cheaper/safer than a traditional nuclear powerplant.

I used to play with the other technology used in this engine. I would stack Peltier plates of varying sizes on high speed cpu's to keep them from frying. It looked like an upside down pyramid, and offered the advantages of liquid nitrogen without the need for storage tanks.

I also experimented with Peltier generators, which is similar to the technology used in this engine. You apply heat on one side, and cool the other side by a heat sink/airflow and it generates electricity. That's the beauty of this motor, the waste heat from the Sterling engine is used to make electricity directly, not wasted.

I say good for him, and I hope he becomes very rich like HerrStig, or at least half as rich.....

Originally Posted By: HighViscosity
New British stealth subs use the sterling engine because it's so quiet, and much cheaper/safer than a traditional nuclear powerplant.

I used to play with the other technology used in this engine. I would stack Peltier plates of varying sizes on high speed cpu's to keep them from frying. It looked like an upside down pyramid, and offered the advantages of liquid nitrogen without the need for storage tanks.

I also experimented with Peltier generators, which is similar to the technology used in this engine. You apply heat on one side, and cool the other side by a heat sink/airflow and it generates electricity. That's the beauty of this motor, the waste heat from the Sterling engine is used to make electricity directly, not wasted.

I say good for him, and I hope he becomes very rich like HerrStig, or at least half as rich.....
And the conversion efficiency on a Peltier is ???? I'm still waiting for a Peltier - no moving parts- automobile AC unit. I do exhale, though. BTW how's that Sterling work when submerged for three months?

Peltier junctions aren't very efficient as a way to transfer heat. Even the small 60w ones pull up to 10 amps at 12v. For cooling uses, phase change is more efficient if you want to get much below ambient. Peltiers only produce about a 40 degree difference from hot side to cold side, the advantage is that they are small and very cheap and can be passively cooled if you have a good heatsink. There's also no moving parts to wear out or make noise. Makes them popular for wine coolers that don't need to be that cold but do need to be cheap, quiet and small.

Originally Posted By: ironman_gq
Peltier junctions aren't very efficient as a way to transfer heat. Even the small 60w ones pull up to 10 amps at 12v. For cooling uses, phase change is more efficient if you want to get much below ambient. Peltiers only produce about a 40 degree difference from hot side to cold side, the advantage is that they are small and very cheap and can be passively cooled if you have a good heatsink. There's also no moving parts to wear out or make noise. Makes them popular for wine coolers that don't need to be that cold but do need to be cheap, quiet and small.
The portable junction cooler I have needs a fan to move air over the sink.

Originally Posted By: HighViscosity

Waste a lot of energy on envy of your betters and you'll never be "rich". I buy used Tototas and take them to over 300K. That's one way to end up with some money in the bank.

And the conversion efficiency on a Peltier is ???? I'm still waiting for a Peltier - no moving parts- automobile AC unit. I do exhale, though. BTW how's that Sterling work when submerged for three months?

My 2004 m/y Lincoln uses Peltier elements in the seats. I think they're use there because they be set to either heat or cool(from the perspective of your rear end) based on polarity.

I bought a couple cheap ones to play with for cooling computer CPUs, but they are impractical on those for a lot of reasons. I found a well-lapped copper heatsink with good airflow to work at least as well and of course has much less to go wrong.

I've got a coffee cup stirling on my desk at work...pretty neat, and I know that you can buy stirling cycle fans to set atop your wood fire to move air around, kerosene powered fans in India, and that NASA messed around with them (used to have a pop science mag with a stirling powered Mustang in it...

But, as per Jimmy Olson's thread in General and O/T, 100MPG by definition requires that a gallon, 44.8hp hr is your entire energy budget for the distance.

Do it in an hour, and you need a car that can push through the air at 100MPH, and only use 44.8hp to do it...AT 100% efficiency.Do it in an hour and a half (65MPH), and you've got 30hp requirement.

NASA's best efforts to date are 38.5% efficient, and I'm seriously doubtful that the peltier gimmick can improve on that by more than 10% relative (3.85 thermal), but I'll be generous and let him have 45% efficiency.

Leaves him with a requirement that whatever vehicle it's installed in can ONLY use 13.5hp engine hp at 65MPH, on a dead flat road...need to accelerate and stop and climb hills, then the power budget stead state has to drop below 10hp.

So you see, the problem isn't a 100MPG ENGINE, it's a CAR that has to do it.

Many expert drivers get over 100mpg with this engine daily.
It was introduced 17 years ago.
300px-Insightengine.jpg

Sadly, when I owned one, since I bought it with over 280,000 miles and it had a bad hybrid battery, I never got more than 85mpg out of mine.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Many expert drivers get over 100mpg with this engine daily.
It was introduced 17 years ago.
300px-Insightengine.jpg

Sadly, when I owned one, since I bought it with over 280,000 miles and it had a bad hybrid battery, I never got more than 85mpg out of mine.

I own a 2000 Honda Insight and love it. less than 170k miles and lifetime average is 64 mpg. Best is easily over 75 mpg. Unfortunately I am selling it because we have a baby on the way and the wife is not okay with our little one in a little 2 seater :p

Put the 100 mpg carb on it and get Two Hundred.
Don't forget the turbine thingy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back