NBA Final Game 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: grampi
I completely forgot about the bad thing that comes about from CLE winning the title...and that's the people calling into the satellite radio sports talk programs and claiming that LeBron is as good, or better than Jordan. No doubt LeBron is the best in the game of the current players, but he isn't as good, never was as good, and never will be as good as Jordan, and claiming he is, is ridiculous.

Agree 100%

Looking at player efficiency ratings (PER), MJ and Lebron are fairly comparable. The highest single season PER for both was 31.7 and both have had four seasons with 30 or greater.

Based on these stats, nobody can objectively claim that MJ is hands down better than Lebron and it's not even close. It's more like a toss-up.

Personally, I would take Lebron because his PER peaked during his championship years whereas Jordan's peaked during years when his Bulls teams were not all that great. That sort of tells me that MJ has a harder time fitting into a system with other great players whereas Lebron had no such problems and found other ways to contribute besides scoring.

And for full disclosure, I am neither a Cavs fan or Miami fan. In fact, I have no personal like of Lebron but it is hard to argue the cold hard stats.

Originally Posted By: VeeDubb
Based on these stats, nobody can objectively claim that MJ is hands down better than Lebron and it's not even close.

Based on watching both of them play, it was clear to see that MJ was hands down the better player...

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I used to like LeBron until he made the big show (on ESPN ?) about his departure from Cleveland to Miami.

+1. Even he acknowledged very shortly after that aired (around the time that a whole lot of people started announcing to those within ear shot they intended to take a dump by saying "I'm taking my talents to the washroom") that it was a horrendously ill-advised thing to do.

I have come across an overwhelming number of accounts since that time that indicate he is a pretty nice fella; but man, is that image of all those poor Cleveland sports fans huddled in bars and basements and living rooms for the first 58 minutes of that ego trip all collectively having their spirits crushed ever tough to shake.

Also, being a Pistons fan and knowing that both MJ and LeBron sort of came of age by finally getting past the Pistons, this game is tough to shake, too: http://espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=270531008

Based on these stats, nobody can objectively claim that MJ is hands down better than Lebron and it's not even close.

Based on watching both of them play, it was clear to see that MJ was hands down the better player...

I've watched them both play too. MJ is more spectacular without a doubt and sometimes that can fool us into thinking that he is the better NBA 5 on 5 player. Going 1 on 2 or 1 on 3 like MJ used to do looks spectacular but is not necessarily better for team offense.

I've watched them both play too. MJ is more spectacular without a doubt and sometimes that can fool us into thinking that he is the better NBA 5 on 5 player. Going 1 on 2 or 1 on 3 like MJ used to do looks spectacular but is not necessarily better for team offense.

Good point VeeDubb. As a for instance, Dr. J in his younger days in the old ABA was IMO was as spectacular as MJ. By the time he made it into the NBA he was still quite good, but not spectacular. Dr. J burned out quicker than MJ, did not play defense like MJ and did not lead his team to the finals all that often - hence there really isn't a comparison between Dr. J and MJ.

LeBron is a different story, the sum of his contributions over the years IMO stacks up with MJ, not sure who is better, they are both at or near the top of all NBA players, ever.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I used to like LeBron until he made the big show (on ESPN ?) about his departure from Cleveland to Miami.

+1. Even he acknowledged very shortly after that aired (around the time that a whole lot of people started announcing to those within ear shot they intended to take a dump by saying "I'm taking my talents to the washroom") that it was a horrendously ill-advised thing to do.

I have come across an overwhelming number of accounts since that time that indicate he is a pretty nice fella; but man, is that image of all those poor Cleveland sports fans huddled in bars and basements and living rooms for the first 58 minutes of that ego trip all collectively having their spirits crushed ever tough to shake.

Also, being a Pistons fan and knowing that both MJ and LeBron sort of came of age by finally getting past the Pistons, this game is tough to shake, too: http://espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=270531008

I am in California, too far from Cleveland and Miami to either love or hate either city and their basketball team.

I remember sawing Cleveland's fans spirits deflated, some were crying and others were so mad they tore up his jersey number, it was a very bad experience for even us Californian. That why I didn't like him after that day.

Originally Posted By: SeaJay

Good point VeeDubb. As a for instance, Dr. J in his younger days in the old ABA was IMO was as spectacular as MJ. By the time he made it into the NBA he was still quite good, but not spectacular. Dr. J burned out quicker than MJ, did not play defense like MJ and did not lead his team to the finals all that often - hence there really isn't a comparison between Dr. J and MJ.

LeBron is a different story, the sum of his contributions over the years IMO stacks up with MJ, not sure who is better, they are both at or near the top of all NBA players, ever.

Most sports analysts don't rank LeBron in the top 6 all time....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back