Oil reusablity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

I recently changed the oil in a GS300 and filled it with Valvoline Maxlife 5w-30. This vehical is my mother's I should note. The next day tells me the car is running "harder". I drove it and it felt fine for whatever my knowledge is worth. I have driven the car many times. Day after, she calls me saying the car is running loudly. Again, I did a test drive and I did not notice anything significant. I believe this car has been running conventional because she got her oil changed at those quick oil change places. The car has 145K.

Could it just be a psychological effect that I told my mom that I put in a synthetic blend. She kept telling me mechanics said do not put in synthetic. This is blended.

I should note I own a 1999 Camry with 144K that has been runnning conventional. I put in Pennzoil platinum synthetic a month ago and it is running perfectly fine.

I took out the Maxlife and put in GTX castrol conventional to give her peace of mind. Shes only drove less than 50 miles on the maxlife.

My main question is can I put this in the next oil change for another vehicle. It would be a waste of 5 quarts of maxlife if i didnt no?

As long as the drain pan was clean you will be perfectly fine reusing the Maxlife.

The price of a jug of oil vs the price of a car,take the Maxlife to an autoparts chain and dump it in their recycle bin. You're only out $14-$15 bux.

Do nothing... Tell her you switched it out and refilled with regular dino. Nothing wrong with the oil.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
The price of a jug of oil vs the price of a car,take the Maxlife to an autoparts chain and dump it in their recycle bin. You're only out $14-$15 bux.

Wow, really... Whats wrong with ML? I really want to hear this.

Originally Posted By: sw99

Re-read the op. He's talking about reusing "drained" oil from his mom's car,NOT new out of the jug Maxlife. I've got two jugs of drained PP 10W30 sitting on my front porch if you want to use them in your car
laugh.gif

Make dure you didnt put a junk filter on. I would just drive it around a listen. Maybe increase fuel octane up a grade as N.America is running a heat wave and some pinging might be happening. A car driven little is going to idle rougher so maybe a PEA based fuel cleaner and a throttle body spray will help too.

Re-read the op. He's talking about reusing "drained" oil from his mom's car,NOT new out of the jug Maxlife. I've got two jugs of drained PP 10W30 sitting on my front porch if you want to use them in your car
laugh.gif

Ok that changes what? I would never waste oil that has 50 miles on it. Yes, even if drained from another vehicle. ML oil is just fine and wont hurt anything.

Do nothing... Tell her you switched it out and refilled with regular dino. Nothing wrong with the oil.

So you're advocating telling the guy to lie to his mom? Throw the oil AND the car away. That is real low life advice. Yes, the oil is fine to use in another vehicle, provided the drain pan was clean when you started.

FWIW, I wipe out my drain pans with paper towels until they're dry, then I wipe them again with paint thinner or solvent. My drain pans are CLEAN. I do this because I sometimes drain my oil then just dip an oil sampling bottle in the pan to retrieve a sample for testing.

I don't remember where I got that tip about cleaning the drain pan with solvent or paint thinner....Someplace off the internet. Better than lying to mom in my book.

Haha, i was considering just telling her i changed it but not actually changing it. I would feel guilty and fess up eventually.

My drain pan is covered and has two holes on top. I always wipe the top of it. Certainly residual oil from older oil changes. Ive used that pan id say less than a dozen times.
Last few uses: tranny fluid, motor oil, motor oil, and now today motor oil. All this within a week. I drain the pan well after each change.

The fluid was of course darker than it should but still was decent. Honestly, no more than 30 miles on this oil.
As for the filter, I was rushing at the walmart and just picked up fram toughguard. Usually id go with pureone.

Side question, how does the purolator classic compare to these two?

Last edited:

laugh.gif

Ok that changes what? I would never waste oil that has 50 miles on it. Yes, even if drained from another vehicle. ML oil is just fine and wont hurt anything.

Do this.

Fill your car with fresh new oil. Then drain it thoroughly into a drain pan. Picture a beautiful summer day,slight breeze blowing. Unless you live in a surgically clean bubble,dirt,sand,dust,etc WILL end up in your freshly drained oil (plus what's in the bottom of your oil drain pan). Use your eyeballs and look closely at it. If you want that being poured into your car,that's your prerogative. Me,I'll happily pry open my wallet and visit my friendly neighborhood Walmart and spend $14-$15 bones on a shiny new jug of lubricating happiness
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Ihatetochangeoil

So you're advocating telling the guy to lie to his mom? Throw the oil AND the car away. That is real low life advice. Yes, the oil is fine to use in another vehicle, provided the drain pan was clean when you started.

FWIW, I wipe out my drain pans with paper towels until they're dry, then I wipe them again with paint thinner or solvent. My drain pans are CLEAN. I do this because I sometimes drain my oil then just dip an oil sampling bottle in the pan to retrieve a sample for testing.

I don't remember where I got that tip about cleaning the drain pan with solvent or paint thinner....Someplace off the internet. Better than lying to mom in my book.

Ah yea, the oil is fine. Sorry not PC but it is what it is. Work smarter not harder...

I would still tell mom down the road for sure. Its all about proving a point in my book. My mom would understand so don't hate...

I would like to add that I too am very clean on my oil changes. Clean drain pan and very tidy. Heck I even filter my used oil and reuse in the chainsaw and some some gasoline powered equipment on the farm.

http://i.imgur.com/WPafmiV.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/loFZY5v.jpg
images clean and the 'used' oil

Ideally I would took a photo of the oil pouring.

I already switched out the oil to gtx. It was rushed, im sure some of you know the severe storms that moved through the Chicago area. Quite freaky, no tornados here but a bit south several

Could I actually use that oil in a lawnmower? Standard Push mower - honda

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lucas01230
http://i.imgur.com/WPafmiV.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/loFZY5v.jpg
images clean and the 'used' oil

I already switched out the oil to gtx. It was rushed, im sure some of you know the severe storms that moved through the Chicago area. Quite freaky, no tornados here but a bit south several

Could I actually use that oil in a lawnmower? Standard Push mower - honda

Yes, but watch the consumption. 5w30 can consume more than SAE30 like most mowers use. I personally use T5 Rotella in my mowers.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
Maybe increase fuel octane up a grade as N.America is running a heat wave and some pinging might be happening.

Why do you advocate octane changes with ambient temperature changes?

Volatility, yes, and that's controlled by regulatory agencies for ALL octane grades

https://www.afpm.org/content.aspx?id=1464

I lived in South Texas most of my life and never saw a need to change octane rating I'm using with any season or heat wave. I've blended a bit of gasoline in my day as well.

How does the Purolator compare?

Oh my, you really must actually be new to this forum. I'll explain it shortly.

Purolator oil filters have been tearing the past couple of years. Purolator doesn't really acknowledge it, and they have now released a new version for each of their filters. They tore very often, and I wouldn't use one for my car even if it were free.

You're safe with the Fram.

I did that when the dealer filled my is with their bulk. I used it to top off, only had 200miles on it. The only reason I did not use it elsewhere because I don't have a need for 5w30.

Wow, really... Whats wrong with ML? I really want to hear this. [/quote]

laugh.gif
[/quote]

thats what oil filters are for....

Ok that changes what? I would never waste oil that has 50 miles on it. Yes, even if drained from another vehicle. ML oil is just fine and wont hurt anything. [/quote]

Do this.

Fill your car with fresh new oil. Then drain it thoroughly into a drain pan. Picture a beautiful summer day,slight breeze blowing. Unless you live in a surgically clean bubble,dirt,sand,dust,etc WILL end up in your freshly drained oil (plus what's in the bottom of your oil drain pan). Use your eyeballs and look closely at it. If you want that being poured into your car,that's your prerogative. Me,I'll happily pry open my wallet and visit my friendly neighborhood Walmart and spend $14-$15 bones on a shiny new jug of lubricating happiness
laugh.gif
[/quote]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back