They're the same and you're a crook!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well not quite, but close!

Back story:

A good 'ole boy customer of the shop- I've known him for several years, done small projects for him before I was spinning wrenches, helped him carry my partner's father- his close friend (and mine) to his grave and attended his 50th wedding anniversary. I can't say we go way back, but we have history.

Since I've been spinning wrenches he brings me the things he can't do. Well last year he brought his wife's 2001 Taurus out- wasn't charging. I diagnosed a bad alternator and he authorized the replacement. Shortly after the trans went toes up so he parked it and bought a 2003 Taurus- same basic car with the same basic 3.0 U engine code. Well the other day the alt light came on so he took the alt off and brought it in to O'Reilly- they told him the diodes were bad. So then he called the dealer and asked if the one from the 2001 would work- they told him "yes", they're the same. So he installed it and the alternator light was still on- that's when he brought it over wanting to know if I'd cover the alt under warranty- I said would, it was less than 1 year old. While he was there I checked some basic things- like the Maxi fuse and was it actually not charging? Well turns out it was... Even under load. I showed him the amp clamp readings- it was putting out 40 amps and holding 13.8 volts. I didn't have time to mess with it at that point, so I sent him on his way and told him I'd print some schematics and read up, then give him a call. I printed off 2001 Schematics (my mistake) and reviewed them. Today I had him drop it off for me to double check every thing- told him I'd replace it free of charge if needed (even though it wasn't the car I originally installed it on) and ordered one just in case. So anyway I start chasing wires at the plug to make sure that there is power where need be only to find out the schematics don't reflect what I'm looking at. It was then that it hit me- this isn't an 01, it is an 03. Back to the computer I go to print off the correct schematics. So the 01 diagram shows the charge wire plus 2 others. The 03 shows the charge wire plus 3 others- and the pcm is included in the circuit. Hmmm. Better look at the parts lookup to make sure the other alternator will work- and it is a different number.

I call the 'old boy and give him the run down and price to repair... After some joking back and forth, he authorized it. I ordered the correct number alt up and when it showed up, I started the install- I had the old one out already. It was just then that his son called- see he had been at the house when I called for authorization of the repair. Him, the mom and 'ole boy had chatted about this and 'ole boy thought it was odd because "Ford" said they were the same. So boy wonder (about 40 years old) calls up 2 different O'Reilly stores and gets the same answer- that they're the same. During the phone conversation he all but straight accused me of trying to screw his parents several different times and said something being able to buy an alt for 150.00 online... I tried to tell him the back story but he wasn't listening. I was towards the end of my rope and told him that I'd reinstall the old alt and let him deal with it... He almost accepted but lit into me again. Finally I invited him over to look up the schematics and part numbers with me and with his own eyes- that he accepted.

I must say that I haven't been so riled up in a LONG time! After the call, I lost my temper for a little while. I've made my living being as honest as I know how! I wouldn't take anyone, especially this guy for a nickle even if it meant losing my house! And this pecker head has the gall to accuse me? The thing that gets me is that all his "knowledge" is based on other people's say so. If you're skeptical, fine- come to me and and ask questions, even pointed ones face to face, not this crud accusing my over the phone!

I guess we'll see what tomorrow morning brings... When we're through I'm going to tell him that wasn't at all appreciated and not to come back to my shop ever again.

Last edited:
Cut your loses and move on. I loaned someone 400.00 once;they never paid me. Cheap way to get rid of a friend. Worry every penny. Things will get better.

Sounds like you bent over backwards and were more than accommodating, I wouldn't even consider asking a shop to warranty a part I transferred into another vehicle.

My only suggestion sir, is that before you tell him not to come back ever again you show him the schematics and part numbers to demonstrate your integrity.

I am quite sure I do not share your mechanical expertise, but I am a quality control inspector in my field, have been honest for ~27 years on the job, and yes, I was highly offended the one time I've been accused of being less than honest. It was more than 15 years ago and I can describe it in graphic detail. If you don't trust me, don't call me.

Originally Posted By: Ihatetochangeoil
My only suggestion sir, is that before you tell him not to come back ever again you show him the schematics and part numbers to demonstrate your integrity.

I am quite sure I do not share your mechanical expertise, but I am a quality control inspector in my field, have been honest for ~27 years on the job, and yes, I was highly offended the one time I've been accused of being less than honest. It was more than 15 years ago and I can describe it in graphic detail. If you don't trust me, don't call me.

That's my plan.

On the second bold- that's right, lets talk it over first.

It certainly isn't nice to be treated like that.

Once this person calms down, he should realize he became irrational, and should apologize

Give him a chance to do that before doing something permanent!

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Sounds like you bent over backwards and were more than accommodating, I wouldn't even consider asking a shop to warranty a part I transferred into another vehicle.

Well like I said- I've known this 'ole boy for some time. He is a heck of a good guy.

His son on the other hand...

And the weird thing- His other son is a customer of mine too. I more or less built his project Ranchero and have worked on all his other vehicles. He too is a good guy.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Originally Posted By: dishdude

Well like I said- I've known this 'ole boy for some time. He is a heck of a good guy.

His son on the other hand...

And the weird thing- His other son is a customer of mine too. I more or less built his project Ranchero and have worked on all his other vehicles. He too is a good guy.

Perhaps after showing BOTH of them the schematics. You tell him you are willing to continue working on his cars, as long as his son in not involved in any way, and cannot set foot or call your shop. Otherwise they all take a hike.

I expect he doesn't know you and was just trying to protect his dad. The information he was given (by 2 different stores) was wrong. So there is a reason he doubted you. Show him the schematic. That should answer his questions.

You have a long time relationship with your customer, but not (yet) with his son. I wouldn't let that relationship go so easily.

Give him an (easy) opportunity to apologize. He may just mumble something and back down.

When I was a family physician I often had adult children (who invariably hadn't been involved) question what I was doing with their parents. I learned to explain politely. That generally settled the matter. And if it didn't, they obviously needed to find a better doctor and who was I to stand in their way.

Explain it to him calmly and in a friendly tone. If he doesn't want to believe you then, well just say I can't help you and be done with him. Don't say never come back, it's always better to de-escalate and not provoke, than leave someone with a possible grudge. At the end of the day, the opinion of someone you don't really know isn't worth stressing over.

So he calls the same place (Oriley uses the same computers system no matter which store you go to).
A 2 minute search on Rockauto shows that the alternators are different part numbers between the years.

It is hard when your integrity is called out when you are an honest person and your doing the guy a favor.

Best of luck with however you decide to handle it.

Originally Posted By: ecotourist
I expect he doesn't know you and was just trying to protect his dad. The information he was given (by 2 different stores) was wrong. So there is a reason he doubted you. Show him the schematic. That should answer his questions.

You have a long time relationship with your customer, but not (yet) with his son. I wouldn't let that relationship go so easily.

Give him an (easy) opportunity to apologize. He may just mumble something and back down.

When I was a family physician I often had adult children (who invariably hadn't been involved) question what I was doing with their parents. I learned to explain politely. That generally settled the matter. And if it didn't, they obviously needed to find a better doctor and who was I to stand in their way.

Agree with this....he might have a much cooler head when he sees you. You never know, he might have told the rest of the family and they reemed him out good....

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Time to talk to him, explain the situation, and then fire him as a customer.

I wouldn't be so quick to fire the actual customer, the father.

I wonder if the Dad knows what the son is doing, and furthermore
why is he involved in the first place?

If I was the OP I'd call the father back and speak with him instead and politely tell him that while his son thinks he is helping, he simply isn't experienced enough to understand all the details..
add that you value their business, but you'd appreciate the son letting Dad handle his own dealings with the shop...I think you will get an agreement and keep a valued customer, but no longer have to deal with the meddlesome and obnoxious son....

I remember when my dad had a shop, a guy once yelled at him for putting the premium part in instead of the cheap part even though he did not charge him the extra. In the time between quote and getting the job, the cheap part became unavailable so my dad ate the small cost difference to get them back on the road.

People can be petty and weird. Not to mention that are quite a few dishonest shops and wrencher out there that ruined it for the rest of the people doing an honest job.

It literally took me 30 seconds to go on www.oreillyauto.com and search alternators for a 2001 & 2003 Taurus, they're clearly different part numbers, 3661607 & 392524. Why couldn't he have done that? Show him that when you see him.

A mechanic friend of mine does the work on my cars that I don't feel like doing, and does a lot of family member's cars as well. Actually he's got the Trailblazer right now doing a fan clutch. I'd trust him with anything, I know he's 100% honest and wouldn't up sell me if his life depended on it. He sells me parts at his cost and charges $60 per hour of book-time labor. Way more than fair. The fan clutch he's putting in the Trailblazer Chevy sells for $540, he called it in for me for will-call and I picked it up for $379. If I didn't trust him, I wouldn't take my cars to him. Your customer should do the same.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
I remember when my dad had a shop, a guy once yelled at him for putting the premium part in instead of the cheap part even though he did not charge him the extra. In the time between quote and getting the job, the cheap part became unavailable so my dad ate the small cost difference to get them back on the road.

People can be petty and weird. Not to mention that are quite a few dishonest shops and wrencher out there that ruined it for the rest of the people doing an honest job.

This is why I sometime take a hit when my mechanic made a mistake. One time he broke the radiator fan while replacing the belt, I paid for the fan but he didn't charge the labor to replace it.

When you find a good and honest mechanic you like to stay with him as long as he is in business. I trust my mechanic and I never ask for an estimate before the work done, and I always paid what he charged without ever questioning him why the charge was so high.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
It literally took me 30 seconds to go on www.oreillyauto.com and search alternators for a 2001 & 2003 Taurus, they're clearly different part numbers, 3661607 & 392524. Why couldn't he have done that?

Because he called and the people behind the counter think they are experts and aren't even looking up the part.
I called autozone a couple weeks ago to order a FlexFuel sensor for a 1999 Ranger and the idiot behind the counter wouldn't even look in his computer, he was so sure a '99 Ranger had no such part.
Needless to say, they didn't get the business.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flex-Fuel-Sensor...SVQ&vxp=mtr

Last edited:
He takes things to you he cant fix, but he asked you to replace an alternator?

I am no mechanic and a sub par parts swapper.. and I replaced an alternator in a cold dark Oreillys parking lot about 70 miles from home. If one has time, proper tools and lighting, it should be an easy job.

Sounds to me he had it planned all along.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back