Delo 400 Severe Duty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The company I worked for used Chevron Delo 400 straight 30 in everything. Chevron is great oil but then is any of the major oil companies oils. I bounce between Chevron and Mobil HDEOS which ever is the lowest price at the time of purchase. Chevron Supreme or M1 in the gas engines. actually I doubt anyone could prove any of the majors make a poor oil.

I'm running the Delo SD in an Allis Chalmers 220 right now. No leaks or consumption issues. Engine starts easier, too. I will probably switch to a synthetic oil later, but this stuff is doing the job for me.

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
Does Schaeffer produce their own base stock and additive packages,
or do they buy them off the shelf?
It seems to me that there are only a handful of synthetic capable lube plants in the USA,
and fewer additive sources.
That has me thinking that their product is on par with Wally World, except three times the cost.
Take any two certified CJ-4 10W30 or 15W40s, and prove that one is better than the other.

They buy their base oil like any other blender. Can't see why that is a bad thing. Ford buys valves for their engines from Lear as just one of thousands of examples. But Schaeffer does tweak their add packs and base oil mix to match what they want to do, just like anyone else. They do get their base add packs from traditional sources like Infineum, and of course, the add pack has to meet the spec they are blending the oil for. But there are variations they can make in house that will not take it out of the spec.

Fact remains, they have been at this game longer than anyone else in N. America, since 1839, and have been listed as one of the top 500 most technologically advanced companies in America. And even Shell and others buy some products from Schaeffer that better meet customer demand than what they produce. Shell even tried to buy out Schaeffer a few years ago to control the game. But the Schaeffer family put the company in trust, so it can't be bought. So Shell has to buy what it wants from Schaeffer. On a tour of the Schaeffer facilities about a year ago, a personal tour for the wife and I done by John Schaeffer Shields, I watched them making stuff for Shell. And there was some stuff they were making for Mobil also. Can't recall what it was. Just because they get a lot of what they blend from others sources, doesn't mean they don't know how to put it together to make a great product. No motor oil in the country is exclusively in house produced from base oil thru add pack. That would not make business sense anyway. If someone is already making some components you need, then why waste R&D time to reinvent the wheel, so to speak.

With Delo, you can follow the chain of custody, from base oil, to additive package (Oronite), to packaging and distribution.

Tired Trucker repeatedly runs at Delo, see above post.
If Schaffer is using a group III base oil, where do you suppose it comes from?
How about the Schaffer add pack?
And the truck, an 18 wheel corn pone haul running around empty 66% of the time.
The connection of GVW and engine size to viscosity cracks me up every time.

I do take shots at Delo... for the motor I have. UOA's don't lie. It sheared out of viscosity pretty quickly. But Delo is a very good oil, in an engine that "prefers" it.

If anyone is honest about all of this, oils and motors are like small caliber rifles and ammunition. I can take two very well made .22 rifles and feed them the same quality .22 ammo. I will get different results, with one rifle holding tighter groups than another. I can then take another quality brand of .22 ammo and get different results that are reversed. Nothing wrong with either rifle, nor the ammo. One rifle "prefers" a particular brand of ammo while the other "prefers" another brand to get optimum results.

One of life's little mysteries. And engines and oils show a remarkable similarity.

Corn pone truck? Mine is a typical road truck you see running the rest of the U.S. pulling 53' van trailer. Average payload of about 38,000 lb, with many loads of 45-47K. Actually, empty less than 10% of the time. Nice try for the personal attack. You are qualified to re-enter high school. Boys will be boys.

Oh... not a 18 wheel truck. A 14 wheel truck. It has wide based singles on the drive axles. You know about as much about trucks as you do how to attack someone. Boys will be boys.

Garak;
How many wheels on a Super B Train Co-op fuel truck, 30?
How many on the triple tri's running Regina to Saskatoon?
Too many ruts on Brad's highways to run wide base drivers, and the steering axle wouldn't work.
So lets add 'em up:
Two steering and 8 drivers on the tractor =10
Three trailers @ 3 axles each X 4 wheels = 36
Wow, 550 hp jerking 3 trailers and 46 wheels running against the wind.
Yeah, no, the pedal is to the metal all day and night.
Better keep the 15w40 in it one more trip.

West coast loggin' truck called; "Hug This".
Two wide base steerin' 'n three driving axles = 14
They just upped the max last year, now; 3 axles on the bridge, just like your super b's,
with a three axle tri-trailer tagging along.
The guys don't like wide base on the trailing trailer, because they float on snow.
Tractor 14, trailers 24, all 24.5"= 38 wheels.
Guys single turbo kit their 550's to about 700 hp, or they ain't gonna make flat rate.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
They buy their base oil like any other blender. Can't see why that is a bad thing. Ford buys valves for their engines from Lear as just one of thousands of examples.

And I understand you get a reasonable price, anyhow. May I ask what you're paying a gallon? The only oil product with which one can have a pricing advantage in Canada seems to be synthetic HDEO.

userfriendly: You trying to drag me into another thread?
wink.gif
It's been a long time since I was driving Highway 11 regularly. I remember back in the very early 1990s seeing how many Sears triples were running to Saskatoon Friday afternoon. Given what they were running, I'm surprised it still wasn't by rail, but that was the last big hurrah by Sears. As for fuel trucks, one flattened a garage in south Regina the other day. Fortunately, nothing was spilled and no one was injured, aside from a couple scratches on the driver.

Garak;
How many wheels on a Super B Train Co-op fuel truck, 30?
How many on the triple tri's running Regina to Saskatoon?
Too many ruts on Brad's highways to run wide base drivers, and the steering axle wouldn't work.
So lets add 'em up:
Two steering and 8 drivers on the tractor =10
Three trailers @ 3 axles each X 4 wheels = 36
Wow, 550 hp jerking 3 trailers and 46 wheels running against the wind.
Yeah, no, the pedal is to the metal all day and night.
Better keep the 15w40 in it one more trip.

West coast loggin' truck called; "Hug This".
Two wide base steerin' 'n three driving axles = 14
They just upped the max last year, now; 3 axles on the bridge, just like your super b's,
with a three axle tri-trailer tagging along.
The guys don't like wide base on the trailing trailer, because they float on snow.
Tractor 14, trailers 24, all 24.5"= 38 wheels.
Guys single turbo kit their 550's to about 700 hp, or they ain't gonna make flat rate.

Impressive. While I am using what I am now (getting lazy in my old age), you haven't a clue what I have done in the past for trucking. And I am not going to fall for some "my junk is bigger than your junk" back and forth nonsense. Any one could have done a little internet searching and come up with that stuff. You just want to spar for fun, and when I became a man, I put away childish things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back