Help me choose between oils please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldn't edit errors in the last post so will put it here:

Am i right in thinking the only issue with a CF/E7, E4 oil like 2015 R6M is exhaust after treatment compatibility? Engine protection is unaffected? I guess that, as Popsy commented, full SAPS heavy TBN (13-16mg) R6M would actually be a positive in this context and therefore the heavier 16mg TBN of the CF 2015 version would be preferable to the 13mg of the CI4 2016 release? Perhaps I should grab a few years worth of the old CF spec now!?

Last edited:
"Old" R6M (didn't even knew there was a new 2016 version) had 1,9% saps, which I belive is on the very high side. Don't know about engine protection, but this is not good for dpf, and since you are not concerned, no problem.

This oil gave me good mileage (no miracle but still good mileage compared to other oils), good cold starts (even if Britanny's cold morning are warm), and low noise througout the OCI. It also cleaned my engine a bit (was to be expected with so much calcium!). That's all I can tell
smile.gif

Thats all positive as far as i am concerned. Good cold starts will help in winter, low noise probably points to better lubrication and as I have no history for this machine I'm sure that it will need an intenal clean. I can use a coolant flush but won't go near an engine flush so high detergency is the next best thing. Cheers Popsy

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
I can walk into a Petro-Canada bulk outlet and find CI-4+ right in front of me on the shelf, and pails of it in the wear house.

Of course, there are legacy lubes, and Petro-Canada has a few, as does Imperial Oil. That doesn't mean one has to seek them or will see any benefit. Like I said, Imperial Oil pushed as much old stuff out as they could as quickly as they could. The prairie Imperial Oil distributors don't list any of the legacy stuff on their sell sheets and are apparently special order only.

And yes, I'd agree with a 15w-40 down to about -15.

Well after your tip about E6,(how could I be so uninformed?) this thread came up, so I thought "here is my chance to practice my new found knowledge.
With the mild spring weather, planting must have gone well in Saskatchewan, followed by much need rain/hot weather cycles.

In three short months.... bumper crop, and out come the custom combine crews with their legacy CI-4 engine oil.

Edit; But hey! I sharpened the mower blades on my JD X320 without losing a hand yesterday.

Last edited:
E6 is pretty new here, of course. The advantage for us is, at least, that we don't get too many of the 10w-40 E6 type lubes, and just get the cream of the crop of E6 lubes, like Delvac 1 LE 5w-30 and the Delo LE 5w-30 and the Vection (I can't remember which line for sure it is for Castrol, since they have it in a different line in Europe than in Canada).

I bet a lot of those combines and tractors are running ordinary Rotella and Delvac 1300 and Delo, not to mention Co-op oils, all in CJ-4. You tell Imperial Oil you want a 15w-40, they'll just bring you Delvac 1300 Super CJ-4. You walk into Walmart or CT, you'll find 5 gallon pails of CJ-4. The only ones looking for CI-4 will be those that really pay attention to labels and product names, and given that legacy lubes often have a different trade name (slightly different or very different) than the lubes that are current, the average consumer will get the CJ-4 by default.

I see no advantage in hunting for or special ordering a legacy lube for almost any application out there. The specifications are backwards compatible for a reason.

That engine wont care whats in it...pick your favorite flavor diesel oil and sleep good at night...I have a fleet of almost 20 d902's (largest super-mini)on pressure washers 2011 and newer..full throttle(3600 rpm) full load from turn of the key...most are nearing 2500-3000 hours...no engine issues running a fleet cj-4 15W40...

Hunting for legacy 15W40 can begin and end at Walmart. They have CJ-4 and a lower cost CI-4.
For all we know it could be the same oil in both pails, CJ-4 being backward compatible and all.
When 15w40 first came out, everybody loved it, as for the most part, it replaced SAE40, 10w40 and 20w50.
The last good 15w40 for high performance gasoline and pre 2007 Diesels is CI-4, with it's "more of" additive package.
We know that CJ-4 exceeds the wear limit of CI-4, even with it's watered down, additive challenged, new and improved chemistry.
But, the CI-4 has the new and improved chemistry additives too, just more of them, and for cheaper.
To me, CJ-4 is just like multi-grade engine oils.
If I don't need, I don't want.
CI-4 gives me more of what I want and it's cheaper.
Mono-grade HDEO with the CI-4 additive package are expensive, but cheap in comparison to additive challenged synthetic CJ-4.
And of course, you all know what opinions are like?

Additive challenged CJ-4? The CJ-4 10w30 syn blend I am using in a 12.7L Detroit Series 60, additive levels from the UOA's I have done on it.... Zinc 1573, Phos 1276, Calcium 1494, Magnesium 985, Moly 68. I suppose that might be lame to some, but seems pretty good to me.

Thanks for the information DSparks. There's nothing like empirical evidence!

Don't know if you run your washers in cold weather, but what is your view of 15w40 in winter months? I know the engine will start and run fine when warmed, but is there any reason not to use a readily available hdeo 10w40 over a 15w40?

Ran the machine yesterday for the first time having serviced it. Put some 15w40 in as a first flush because what came out was old. Really pleased with it. Been a bit neglected and stored i think, but amazingly has only 337 hrs on the engine! No idea what its been used for. The mowing deck was virtually new. The tow bar on the back was bent to blazes and looks like the transmission housing and transmission filter have taken a clout. My guess is its been used for towing which isn't really ideal from a transmission point of view but I'll just have to see.

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
Hunting for legacy 15W40 can begin and end at Walmart.

I'll have to check. The last time I saw a CI-4 lubricant at Walmart here was GTX 15w-40 in the one litre containers, and that was a very long time ago. All the TuneIt! and Castrol HDEOs (i.e. Elixion and the like) were CJ-4 there, not to mention Rotella, of course. Nonetheless, no one has yet demonstrated what CJ-4 can't accomplish that CI-4 can, at least in a ULSD market like North America.

I have no need to seek out an outdated specification. As I mentioned before, CJ-4 is backwards compatible for a reason.

That looks like serious additive challenge to me. I need more ...

Yeah, I think that's a pretty good residual add pak. But that Schaefer stuff is just not for everyone
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back