Pickup truck rear window seal

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
This is my 98 S-10. The rear seal rubber is starting to pit/show its age. It's water tight, but my goal on the truck for the summer is to bring a few things back up to 100%. This is one of them.

10C14328-8053-4480-8CA8-A9C8373970F7_zpspnqpnhzz.jpg

BC73585C-2D33-4D0A-A3CA-1EDF002137F2_zpsjlw0phfr.jpg

This is a sliding rear window. Does anyone know if this sort of thing is a cured in window vs the older style with the rubber seal you install with a rope? Will the glass be salvageable?

Thanks!

Is there nothing that could be done just to give it a fresher look?

Seems a shame to mess with it if its not leaking.

Originally Posted By: 123Saab
Is there nothing that could be done just to give it a fresher look?

Seems a shame to mess with it if its not leaking.

Maybe there is... Mask off and spray plasti-dip for example?

I know when the seal went on my 1995 Ranger, the whole unit had to be replaced. However, I replaced it with an aftermarket unit, which was < than $140.00 at the time.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
I know when the seal went on my 1995 Ranger, the whole unit had to be replaced. However, I replaced it with an aftermarket unit, which was < than $140.00 at the time.

Is an aftermarket unit the seal or the entire assembly?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Tdbo

Is an aftermarket unit the seal or the entire assembly?

The whole assembly, unfortunately.

If this is a beater truck, & it was mine, I would get a caulking gun & a tube or 2 of black roofing cement & shoot it into that gap, that would stop any leaks for sure! Not sure how good it would look, though.

Its not a beater truck. Its in great shape, low mileage, and is the somewhat unique ZR2 version. I bought it cash when I was 17 from proceeds from my business, so it has some sentimental value on top of the utility value.

Call up an auto glass for a quote. Some things it is worth it to pay the guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back