2011 honda civic 1.8? need info

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my Daughter who is in NC. right now just bought one of these. She will be moving back here to San Diego in a few months. I will be taking care of this car upon her return. Anything I should know about this car? I have zero knowledge about Hondas. Anything I should be watching out for? Thanks in advance!

just fluids..Honda trans, Honda coolant, favorite oil and good filters..I'd go heavier on the oil in the mild climate.

or 5/40..ran 5/20 200k in my new '03 K-24 and she slipped a tooth, otherwise still super strong.. mechanic blamed the oil and I believe him.

Honda factory fill coolant is supposed to lasted 10-12 years 100k-120k miles whichever is first.

You can get Honda concentrate coolant from Pep Boys, it is easier to get 50-50 if you flush the old coolant with distilled water.

ATF probably safest to use is Honda DW1.

Last edited:
As others have said change out all the fluids. Use all Honda fluids except oil, just use what you like in the proper spec which I believe is 0w20. I use PP 0w20 in my K24 with a Fram Ultra filter, great combo!

0w20, 5w20 & 5w30 in our 2012 with over 100k and runs like a top. I have done four drain and fills with ML ATF and zero issues. DW1 is pricy compared to $16 a gallon for ML ATF at WM. Prestone all makes coolant is what I use and again, no issues. I do coolant drain and fills every year just for a peace of mind.

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
I have heard of some people going 5w30 in these.

And the nominees for BITOG Most Profound Statement Of The Year are....

A 2011 is the last year of this generation Civic and as a result is a solid car. All the bugs were worked out by 2011. Just keep up with the preventive maintenance and fix things as they break. That car should treat her well.

Last edited:
2010Civic, Thank You, That's the kind of info that I was looking forward to.
I noticed that the trans filter is external. Though a little hidden for a guy with big hands. Is it as hard to get to as the YouTube videos make it out to be? I like to do my research and prepare for things before jumping in head first.

I wouldn't worry about the transmission filter. Just drain and fill the fluid every 30k. I would suggest using Honda ATF.

Follow the maintenance minder.

ATF is covered by the MM, but I change more frequently at 30k miles.
I had issues with shift flair that only seemed to have occurred after draining and filling with 3 qts of Maxlife. After a couple of additional drains and fills with DW-1 shifting is back to normal. I plan to change the ATF WOT DW-1 every 30k miles or so.

Honda PSF every so often (only two reservoir drains and refills since I've owned it 60k to its current 118k) and maybe with every ATF change from now on.

XW-20 oil. There is no need for 30. Oil filter every OTHER oil change.

The coolant isn't due and changing it would be a waste of money IMO.

BRAKE BLEED. Check the brakes while you're bleeding them.

Last edited:
2011 Civic still used 5W20 not 0W20. This is a very reliable and dependable car. Fuel economy is a little disappointing with the automatic but it isn't terrible. As others stated, stick with Honda fluids except for the oil, and be sure to change the tranny fluid as scheduled or more frequently, again use Honda fluid. And although it isn't scheduled maintenance flush or turkey baster the power steering fluid at regular intervals, unless they had swithced to EPS bythat year, but I don't think so. Best way to get to the oil filter is remove the right front wheel, it is very hard to access any other way.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

I had issues with shift flair that only seemed to have occurred after draining and filling with 3 qts of Maxlife. After a couple of additional drains and fills with DW-1 shifting is back to normal. I plan to change the ATF WOT DW-1 every 30k miles or so.

Honda PSF every so often (only two reservoir drains and refills since I've owned it 60k to its current 118k) and maybe with every ATF change from now on.

I don't believe they had the maintenance minder in 2011. That started in 2012 I believe. 2011 was the last year of the 8th gen.

Originally Posted By: dlayman
Originally Posted By: gathermewool

I don't believe they had the maintenance minder in 2011. That started in 2012 I believe. 2011 was the last year of the 8th gen.

Yes they had the MM in 2011. I had one prior. It schedules an "A" or "B" service along with number codes for tires, filters, trans fluid, etc.

The 8th gen Civic was a FANTASTIC car. I'd follow the MM with a 0/5W-20 oil and stick with Honda fluids for the trans. They can be finicky. The DW-1 trans fluid is top notch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back