Would a 'Magnaflow' exhaust really help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

Ever since I bought my 2014 Focus with 5 speed MT I've had to 'concentrate' to take off smoothly from a start. I've owned and driven many 'sticks' in my life and it never took much thought. My research on the Focus forums say that due to the DMF and fuel saving strategy (weak idle, RPM hang) ... the torque is non-existent at low rpm and that I must give it gas before coming off the clutch. One member mentions installing an aftermarket "Magnaflow' exhaust which freed up enough HP and torque to fix the issue.

I'm seriously considering spending $700+ (plus my labor to install) if it will make my car feel more like what I'm used to....the cool sound and supposed extra efficiency would be a bonus but I'm a little old to really care about 'cool sound'...

What are your thoughts on this 'upgrade'? The Magnaflow is stainless steel and has a lifetime warranty so that's a plus. Can I really expect an improvement in MPG's?

Thanks guys.

Not $700.00 worth Do they have a reprogram from an aftermarket company you would want to risk your engine with?

See if you can remove the muffler and drive the car with out the muffler ans see the difference.

I don't see how a Cat-Back exhaust can help off idle torque, One persons feedback isn't enough proof for me to spend $700, Sounds more like a Programming/Tuning issue anyway!

Does this have a turbo engine? If so, a cat-back may help (and let me be very clear that I am only saying "may" because I have no experience in the matter and am regurgitating what I've read on the internet).

If not, my experience says that you won't notice any power or fuel economy difference, but you will notice the extra noise. Whether or not you like the extra noise depends on you, but know that the only thing you will get for sure with a cat-back exhaust is more noise.

Most exhaust mods only take real effect above 3,500 RPM. A few can make for a bit more TQ at low speed, but the will compromise the higher engine speeds...

Try a few simple experiments. As CT8 says, try it w/o the muffler.

Or try it with a piece a water pipe clamped into the tail pipe. That is try some restriction and see what happens.

Between the open pipe scenario and the slightly restricted pipe you will be bale to tell what the engine wants down low.

But no pipe mod off the OEM manifold will make more than a few lb/ft difference below 3,000. Maybe 5~10 at 5,000 ...

You are not leaving at 5K, so how do you think this will play out...

Are there reliable re-programs for that ECU? Seems like that is what's needed ...

I doubt an aftermarket system, without redesign of the REST of the exhaust system is going to make up for a basic design flaw.
In the good old days of big V8 engines strangled by half bleep hasty add on "emissions" systems and pea shooter single exhausts
a good aftermarket "real" dual system helped, today the manufacturers can't afford the MPG drop of fitting a lousy exhaust design. Outfits like Magnaflow design systems for engines which have been increased in displacement and have state of the art intake and exhaust manifolds and fuel delivery systems, and often supercharging to increase airflow. If anything, an aftermarket system, like the Civic "F" cans, will lean the mixture beyond what the injection system can trim for, and the car will behave WORSE off the line.

Last edited:
I would start with a Injen SP series air intake. Make sure its got the blue nano filter. Its cheaper than exhaust,easier to install, and is usually everybodys first mod.

I doubt that an exhaust system would help. With my mustang GT, just a cat back exhaust did nothing. Only seat of the pants improvement came from a mid pipe.

Isn't there a hot 2014 Focus? One of my friends had one (within a year or so). I drove it and had no problems starting out in first gear. In fact I found it quite peppy. I liked it a lot.

If the blocks are the same, there should be some bolt-on OEM engine mods that would make your car a pretty good stormer. Now whether that would be cost effective I can't say.

It might be a better use of money to replace your car with the hot version.

As noted above, cat back systems rarely increase torque at low speeds. They tend to move the torque higher up the rpm range if they do anything at all.

Noise, drone at certain speeds, long term durability issues are all possible. Big performance gains are not...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bvance554
Learn how to drive it maybe? A different exhaust isn't going to help you.

This. Just get used to it and save your money.

The DMF should actually help starting off in 1st, they are heavy and allow the engine to rotate through a power stroke at low rpms easier.
Just rev it a bit, 1000-1100 rpm starts aren't going to smoke your clutch as long as you have no bad clutch habits.
If the tall 1st really bothers you, when this set of tires dies, you could go down a rim size or two and put on the some smaller diameter tires.
I go from a 185/65R15 winter tire(taller and narrower) to a 195/55R15 summer tire for a 4.5% difference in gearing(OEM size is 195/60R15). It makes the car peppier and pretty noticeable on the first day but after a while it becomes normal.
The other benefit is that I've lowered the car .5" and taken out .5" of sidewall so it handles much more precisely, at the expense of some more road noise.

Thanks guys.....the more I read the more it seems that an 'aftermarket tune' would help more than an aftermarket exhaust....

I can 'learn' to drive it...in fact I have....but driving a stick should be more pleasurable and natural than tedious....

PS: I do realize that some of this poor low RPM throttle response and lack of torque is caused by emission requirements and may even be programmed in to keep the valves clean on this DI engine.

Originally Posted By: ecotourist
Isn't there a hot 2014 Focus? One of my friends had one (within a year or so). I drove it and had no problems starting out in first gear. In fact I found it quite peppy. I liked it a lot.

If the blocks are the same, there should be some bolt-on OEM engine mods that would make your car a pretty good stormer. Now whether that would be cost effective I can't say.

It might be a better use of money to replace your car with the hot version.

Yes, there is a Focus ST which is turbocharged, and has a 6 speed transaxle, whereas the op's engine is naturally aspirated, and is connected to a 5 speed transaxle.

Unless he installs a full on turbo kit, and all of the extra ancillary/supporting parts and tuning, there is nothing that can be swapped between the two power plants.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back