2016 Jetta 1.8T Sport vs 2016 Golf TSI S

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to downsize from my Charger. Looking to get into something smaller.

I've looked at the new Civic and the interior just did not fit me well. I had thought about going back to a Crosstrek but the pricing on them is a little more than I want to spend. I looked at the Impreza Sport Wagon as well and it still is a tad out of the $$ I want to spend plus I don't like the look as much as the Crosstrek.

The 2016 Golf TSI S caught my eye as it is a hatch (desirable but not married to that style) and it also comes with Sirius XM which is a must for me. The 15" wheels seem a little too small in my eyes though? I want the auto transmission as I hate the VW clutch and the positioning of the clutch pedal is to far to the right for me. I feel like I need to hunt for it when shifting rather than my foot going naturally to it.

Priced out just a bit over 19K which is right in line with what I want to spend.

While at the dealer I glanced over a a sharp looking Jetta and walked over for a closer look. I expected a price tag of close to 30K but to my surprise it was in line with the MSRP of the Golf TSI S model.

The Jetta seems to come with a few more nice options than the Golf does...push button start, fog lights, heated seats, leather (like interior)....

Both of the cars share the same transmission and 1.8T engine.

I've read that the Golf has the more advanced chassis?

Interestingly enough the Jetta with all the extra equipment still came in quoted lower at 18.8K...a 4 door sedan equipped really nicely at less tha 19K has my attention.

I drive a lot per year...maybe 30K......

Opinions on either of these vehicles? Has VW stepped up the reliability of the new models?

Interested to hear thoughts on Jetta vs Golf and the differences?

Some posters bought Golf SportWagen the last few months for very reasonable price, they all seem to like it very much. Do a search "SportWagen" you should find some threads about it.

Up to and including the MK 5 the Golf and Jetta shared the same platform. That all changed with the MK6 Jetta as it received its own platform.
The Golf is the flagship of VW here in North America and wil always be priced at a higher point than an equal Jetta ie GTI vs GLI

I though the Golf had the newer MBQ platform vs the PQ35 for the Jetta (which I understand has been around for quite a bit of time?)

I'm not sure what advantages one has over the other though

You won't have much of an issue out of either car. The Jetta is a more "proven" chassis, in that it can trace it's roots back to the 2006+ mk5.

The only common problem I know of with the Jetta is that the ignition cylinder can bind I'm the housing. It's a fairly inexpensive repair, but it will probably happen in the first 100k miles.

The new (mk7) Golf is world's ahead in refinement and driving feel. I also prefer the hatch.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Blue_Goose
I though the Golf had the newer MBQ platform vs the PQ35 for the Jetta (which I understand has been around for quite a bit of time?)

I'm not sure what advantages one has over the other though

You are right, the Mk7 Golf has the newer MQB platform compared to the Jetta. The new platform brings the latest development in NVH and refinement, as well as improved suspension tuning. The MQB has received much rave reviews, especially in the Audi A3/S3 configuration as well as the Mk7 Golf GTI and Golf R.

I tend to favor buying a vehicle based on a newer platform if given a choice. Test drive both the Golf and Jetta, and see if you can tell the difference.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
You won't have much of an issue out of either car. The Jetta is a more "proven" chassis, in that it can trace it's roots back to the 2006+ mk5.

The only common problem I know of with the Jetta is that the ignition cylinder can bind I'm the housing. It's a fairly inexpensive repair, but it will probably happen in the first 100k miles.

The new (mk7) Golf is world's ahead in refinement and driving feel. I also prefer the hatch.

The Jetta Sport has a push button start. I will say I do have the push button start in my Charger and I really like that feature

I would choose the Jetta personally. More features and better looks IMO with the nice wheels, fog lights, two toned leatherette interior etc.

By most measures, the Golf is superior. It has a new, superior chassis and a better quality interior. The Golf is one of the real, Euro-style VWs, meaning in some ways it's a semi-premium car.

Remember, the MK6 Jetta is a cheapened, decontented model made to sell on price in places like the U.S. and China. When it first came out it was pretty unimpressive, but they've done a decent job of polishing that turd.

The Jetta has a huge back seat for the class, but in many other ways it's inferior to the Golf. Compare the interiors side-by-side, for example. The Jetta interior is outclassed by the Golf, especially in the lower Jetta trims.

I think the 1.8 in the Golf doesn't have identical HP/TQ ratings to the Jetta, but I could be misremembering.

The next generation of Jetta will ride on the MQB chassis that underpins the MK7 Golf.

VW or VW?
37.gif

Some people will make up any excuse just to get a new car. "Downsizing" sounds silly to me, looking at a car that is only 13" shorter, as if it will make a real difference.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
VW or VW?
37.gif

Some people will make up any excuse just to get a new car. "Downsizing" sounds silly to me, looking at a car that is only 13" shorter, as if it will make a real difference.

Once again, I see that you have nothing to add to the discussion.

If you honestly don't think there is a MASSIVE size difference between a Charger and a Jetta, get your head checked.

As already stated, the Jetta has been improved year over year since the disaster VW put out in 2010 with the introduction of the MK6 Jetta when they split the Golf and Jetta platforms.

In the end the Golf will hold a premium over an equal Jetta.

Take both out for a spin and see which one "speaks to you" and take it from there. The new Jetta Sport and the GLI's look nice from what I have seen.

Last edited:
How long do you plan to own for? I'm wondering if, at 30k/year, you might trade again in a few years. Which would mean depreciation is the major cost, not purchase.

Considering how much OP drives per year, I'm not sure this is a sound decision.

IMO, longer wheelbase vehicles are more comfortable and have a better ride than their short wheelbase stablemates.

Before putting any money down/serious consideration, why not rent one for a week and do the regular commute you usually do. See how/if you like it and if it's worth the additional cost to switch.

coffee2.gif

Originally Posted By: supton
How long do you plan to own for? I'm wondering if, at 30k/year, you might trade again in a few years. Which would mean depreciation is the major cost, not purchase.

This is generally a good point. But right now, VWs are getting slammed because of the diesel scandal and many dealers are practically giving them away. Golfs in the Chicago area are selling for 5-6K off of MSRP so the depreciation is somewhat built in.

Regardless, if he buys he should negotiate hard.

EDIT: to the OPs original question, the Golf is what I would get if I were choosing between those two cars for all the reasons already mentioned.

Last edited:
I had a VW dealer slash a GTI I looked at for $22K and change ($26 MSRP). Even before "haggling". Seriously, we we getting out of the car post test-drive and the manager was dropping the price $500 with every breath.

That being said, my brother's fiance just got a TSi and it has keyless ignition but not keyless entry. Very odd. So you have to use the clicker to open the car, but then put it back into your pocket. Not having that keyless button is a bit of a pain.

I would keep the Charger. With the 3.6L pentastar it should be get decent MPG.

Looking at the EPA ratings, 14 Charger is rated 27 mpg highway and 16 Jetta/Golf is 36 mpg highway. This nets a difference of roughly 280 gallons at 30k miles /year. Sound significant, but if the trade in nets a few thousand dollar loss, the new car may take several years just to break even. And you will be downgrading to a compact, which means less comfort, more road noise etc.

What would be the hit on the Charger at trade in?

I'm looking to downsize from my Charger. Looking to get into something smaller.

What's prompting you to change? Didn't you just get this Charger last year? Just curious...

Interestingly enough the Jetta with all the extra equipment still came in quoted lower at 18.8K...a 4 door sedan equipped really nicely at less tha 19K has my attention.

Are you sure it was the 1.8T S Jetta and not the 1.4?
AFAIK, the 1.8T S Jetta starts at around $21K, but maybe VW is discounting them like crazy based on all their current issues.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Are you sure it was the 1.8T S Jetta and not the 1.4?
AFAIK, the 1.8T S Jetta starts at around $21K, but maybe VW is discounting them like crazy based on all their current issues.

I think he is right. Autobarn City VW has a 1.8T Sport for around $16,800 (MSRP around $22K).

http://www.cityvwchicago.net/new/Volkswa...189599c2033.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back