Does anyone know which Royal Purple filter I need?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am an Australian.
My car takes a Ryco Z9.
I am very keen to buy a Royal Purple oil filter to go with my Penrite racing ten oil.

The alternatives listed on a site are:

AC-Delco AC01
Baldwin B2
Bosch 986452001
Bosch OT001
Donaldson P551305
Fleetguard LF3313
FSA C1121
Magneti Marelli 1AMFL00029
OEM AFL1
Purolator L30001
Repco ROF1
Sakura C1121
Wesfil WZ9
Wix 51515

I have this link:

http://www.forcefilters.com.au/product/royal-purple-oil-filter-30-8a-9-equiv-ryco-z9/

From the picture it is a 20-820, but the info says 30-8A-9

Does anyone know if they are the same, or different, and if different, which one I would need?

The RP 30-8A is the correct equivalent. No idea what the '-9' at the end refers to. The picture is simply incorrect.

Check the last line (pulled from someone else's BITOG post):

RPfilter-1.jpg

That's a very common size. Old and large, but common. Pretty much every manufacturer makes one in that spec.

I have vehicles use both filters- they are not compatible. The 20-820 is a metric thread base (Gen III Hemi in my SRT, Gen II 4.7 in my Ram). The 30-8A is an SAE thread and is what I use in the Jeep 4.0 as well as my old big-block Chryslers (and smallblock Chryslers, and Windsor/Cleveland/Lima/FE Fords, Chevy 350s where it'll fit in the chassis, and about a zillion other older applications).

Since your cross reference list includes the PH8A, 51515, L30001, 301, etc. its pretty safe to say you want the 30-8A.

Originally Posted By: ag_ghost
30-8A is the one listed on the cross-reference page (77 of 80) in their online catalog:
http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/assets/catalog/2015_Consumer_Catalog.pdf
I'm pretty sure the 20-820 will be a different thread size.
Also, the Z9 on the Wix Filter site cross-references to their 51515, so I'd go with the 30-8A.
Kevin

Thanks mate, could not see the catalogue as my internet is slow ATM.

I tried to cross-ref using the Wix but couldnt find anything.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
The RP 30-8A is the correct equivalent. No idea what the '-9' at the end refers to. The picture is simply incorrect.

Lucky I double checked, was all ready to order the other one.

Emailed RP also, but heard nothing back.

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

Since your cross reference list includes the PH8A, 51515, L30001, 301, etc. its pretty safe to say you want the 30-8A.

Sweet, thanks mate, all ready to order one now.

Originally Posted By: Greatwhite7

Emailed RP also, but heard nothing back.

Thanks.

Interesting- they tend to respond really quickly. Of course I'm in the same time zone as their HQ (just a couple hours' drive away, in fact). That's, um.... not the case for you ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back