Car overheated, Change oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
+1
It really depends upon the engine.
Most all iron engines will survive this sort of mistreatment pretty well.
No all alloy Honda or BMW will and engines with alloy heads on iron blocks will fare even worse.
Run the thing for a week and a few hundred miles. You may have to top up the coolant due to air purging.
If after a bit the engine seems fine, then change the oil.
No use wasting a new oil and filter on an engine that needs a teardown at the least.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
I'm going to swim against the flow and say that I wouldn't waste a dime on new OIL until I'm sure the ENGINE isn't a pile of junk after that incident, that is assuming the coolant leak wasn't through a gasket that would also let it into the oil (some engines will do that when you leak through the timing case). If there's any chance coolant got in the oil then new oil really should have been part of the repair.

If the engine runs a week or so without a repeat incident, signs of a blown head gasket, etc. then change the oil.

I was going to say the same thing. Oil may be the least of his worries...give it some time and see if the head gasket isn't blown, or heaven forbid the heads aren't warped/cracked...block too.

Originally Posted By: doublebase
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
I'm going to swim against the flow and say that I wouldn't waste a dime on new OIL until I'm sure the ENGINE isn't a pile of junk after that incident, that is assuming the coolant leak wasn't through a gasket that would also let it into the oil (some engines will do that when you leak through the timing case). If there's any chance coolant got in the oil then new oil really should have been part of the repair.

If the engine runs a week or so without a repeat incident, signs of a blown head gasket, etc. then change the oil.

I was going to say the same thing. Oil may be the least of his worries...give it some time and see if the head gasket isn't blown, or heaven forbid the heads aren't warped/cracked...block too.

All depends on "how hot did it get."

What vehicle is your girlfriends car?

Newer engines cannot handle the heat.

I had a '93 Buick Regal GS with a 3800, the [censored] plastic radiator plug let go and I didn't realize it was overheating until I parked into Wal-Mart....then I saw the temperature gauge...

Another minute that that engine would have broke.

I got lucky, but it was a cast iron block and cast heads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back