Fake Fram Ultras?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sure the Pro Synthetic is the same as the newer Ultra, Motorking/Jay Buckley addressed it, if I remember correctly, except for the Sure-Grip (which some Ultras don't have, like the one for my Cummins).

ok so i opened the box for one of the filters today, pics are below can anyone work out date of manufacture for it? doesnt seem to have any rust or paint flaking off it. was shrink wrapped so probably protected from the elements.
15g5vuw.jpg

svq9hi.jpg

w0qott.jpg

m7qm9h.jpg

is it safe to run?

C01741

C = Plant Code
0 = Year, which in this case is 2010 (0 = 2000 or 2010 or 2020, etc. 1 = 2001, 2011, 2021, etc ... and so on.)
174 = Julian date
1 = Shift Code (1 = 1st shift, 2 = 2nd shift, 3 = 3rd shift)

So this filter was made on the 174th day of 2010.

Ahh if it were me... I'd run them and not think twice about it. Same thing with motor oil that's been properly stored since 2010. I'd run that too. Aka an API SM, ILSAC G-4, Dexos approved oil. Rock N roll with it.

I'd use it.

Used and posted a BD+ 3323 from 2009 recently, running the last in my stash from same lot right now.

If the baseplate and down centertube looks good, no rust etc., run it.

Originally Posted By: slybunda
ok so i opened the box for one of the filters today, pics are below can anyone work out date of manufacture for it? doesnt seem to have any rust or paint flaking off it. was shrink wrapped so probably protected from the elements.
15g5vuw.jpg

svq9hi.jpg

w0qott.jpg

m7qm9h.jpg

is it safe to run?

Not fake, just old, in this case 2010. I don't think I'd use a 6yo filter, especially in a common, easily-available filter like the 3600 size. However, since it was shrink wrapped, it should probably be safe.

Xtended Guard is the old name for Ultra.

I think C is Albion, IL factory (A is Greenville, OH)

how can you tell if it is a year 2000 or a 2010 built filter?

looks like I will run the filter. hopefully engine doesn't blow up. lol

You can't by the date code, but I don't think Fram was making the XG series back in 2000.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

You can't by the date code, but I don't think Fram was making the XG series back in 2000.

This.

I don't think and highly doubt said XG is 16 year old filter, 2010 is much more likely. Like I said, I'd use it.

I also have a mobil1 m1-209 i can use. Which one will flow better?

I just ordered a couple Fram ultras, I'm hoping there is no major flow difference between that and a Mobil 1 filter or Purolator filter.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Ask Motorking he will know.. He does not sign on a lot like he used to but he still pops on every month it seems.

He is always here in spirit. And of course there are his minions.

As far as the EG, use them. You bought bargain basement inventory from a on-line retailer. Looks like you got what you ordered.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
I also have a mobil1 m1-209 i can use. Which one will flow better?

I just ordered a couple Fram ultras, I'm hoping there is no major flow difference between that and a Mobil 1 filter or Purolator filter.

All of those filters will flow good ... the engine won't care.

Originally Posted By: Falken
Those are Xtended Guards, not Ultras, but looking at the box it looks like they are the same as Ultras with the wire backed media etc...

You ever notice how an Ultra will have an `XG` in the part number ?
laugh.gif

The 'XG" series started with the Xtended Guards. Then later became the Ultra but kept the 'XG' model designation.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
The 'XG" series started with the Xtended Guards. Then later became the Ultra but kept the 'XG' model designation.

That was almost a perfect post except for the first 'XG" having two different quote marks.
laugh.gif

You must be embarrassed half to death.
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back