ATF '96 LT1 Roadmaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm coming up on 60k miles with her. I have never done an ATF change on this vehicle since I've owned it and not sure if the previous owner had either, therefore, I say it's overdue. I don't have too much knowledge in this area. What type of atf fluid do I need? Is synthetic actually better? How many quarts? It has the 4L60E transmission. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Your Roadmaster came with Dexron III, which has since been superseded by Dexron VI. Maxlife is great ATF and very popular on BITOG.

Since GM is too stupid to put a drain plug on their transmissions, you should consider an aftermarket pan that has a drain plug.

If the car's trans was built for Dex 3, then shouldn't Mercon V be acceptable as it's the same viscosity? That's the upgrade for all the Fords of that era (Dex 3/Merc up to Mercon V). The Dex VI is quite a bit lighter with an operating viscosity of 6.0 cSt. WM's Super Tech Mercon V (7+) is synthetic blend, certified, and cheap too at $4.27/qt. Max Life is at 6.0. Mercon V does meet reqs of DEX 3 G/H and supposedly DEX 6. If you want a top quality synthetic ATF then M1, Redline D4, Amsoil ATF, and Honda ATF are all good choices with decent add packs.

If you don't have a TC drain, then you'll need to flush through the cooler connection to get the other half of the old fluid out. Either that, or do several drain and refills on the transmission pan. The flush is really not that difficult if you can easily access the fitting to remove a cooler line and attach a 4-6 ft clear plastic hose to drain from. Since you're system probably hasn't been serviced for 20 years, the safest route is to do a series of trans pan drain and fills so as to shock the system a little bit less than an immediate 100% changeover.

I'm running Dex VI in my 4L60E in my 98 S-10 with 70k. No issues or worries. I'd run any Dex VI in yours without thinking twice.

@69GTX, GM said that Dexron VI is backward compatible in all GM automatic transmissions.

Even though the starting viscosity of Dexron VI is lower, it is more shear-stable.

Originally Posted By: gallydif
How do you guys feel about the Supertech Dex VI?

All licensed DexronVI is essentially the same, Supertech DexronVI is fine although I consider Maxlife superior slightly

Aren't universal atf's such as maxlife not as good? Why use a blend that can be used in other tranny's as well. Dex is dex and merc is merc. There has to be some sort of sacrifice on both ends to be able to use them in either GM or Ford transmissions.

Aren't universal atf's such as maxlife not as good? Why use a blend that can be used in other tranny's as well. Dex is dex and merc is merc. There has to be some sort of sacrifice on both ends to be able to use them in either GM or Ford transmissions.

Not necessarily, since the specs are close. Most of the LV specs (Merc LV, Dex6, WS, etc) are close enough to the point where a single fluid can meet them all. In addition, they are usually backward-compatible with the older version of the respective specs. For example, Dex6 is backwards-compatible with Dex3.

There is nothing wrong with it, and it will serve you well. Any licensed Dexron VI will work just fine.

That's what I used in my 97 Buick along with a bottle of Lubeguard Red. I let drain overnight and got almost 8 quarts out. Got my filter kit from NAPA which has a resuable gasket. Yours might have a reusable original gasket.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lubener

That's what I used in my 97 Buick along with a bottle of Lubeguard Red. I let drain overnight and got almost 8 quarts out. Got my filter kit from NAPA which has a resuable gasket. Yours might have a reusable original gasket.

I would buy a new OEM gasket anyway. I doubt a 20 year old resuable gasket will be in good enough shape to actually reuse.

Anyway, I would use NAPA brand Dexron VI because it is full synthetic and often costs less than other Dexron VI fluids.

Another thing you should do is check your power steering fluid. If your power steering system takes transmission fluid, change the fluid to Dexron VI or a good multi vehicle synthetic.

I agree, I stick with the exact fluid and stay away from the universal stuff which tries to satisfy a broad spectrum of needs.

I refer you to the thread you created on this subject, and the answers you received there.

gallydif said:
I agree, I stick with the exact fluid and stay away from the universal stuff which tries to satisfy a broad spectrum of needs.

Well if Dexron-III is specified then he can't stick to the exact fluid.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

I refer you to the thread you created on this subject, and the answers you received there.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...on_#Post4131627

Originally Posted By: kschachn
gallydif said:

Well if Dexron-III is specified then he can't stick to the exact fluid.

Sure he can, it's called Dex 6, a direct, backward compatible replacement to the Dex 3. Dex 3 is still around if he wants to go that route.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back