Gluing rearview mirror to windshield

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: kschachn
What kind of silicone adhesive is there besides an RTV? Especially since you said "GE 100% silicone". That's not an RTV?

No it's not RTV like the automotive sealants. It's the stuff the HVAC guys use to seal ducts and stuff. I found out how strong that stuff is when I went to pull the old A/C unit out of the house. The only way to break the bond with that stuff is to cut around the mating surfaces with a utility knife.

It's an RTV. Do you know what RTV stands for and what it means?

I've never needed to use the Permatex kit - the OEMs specify it and cleanliness/prep is IMPORTANT for it to work. Use a good glass cleaner and then isopropyl alcohol as a prep. Use the activator capsule included, it's a copper salt that allows anaerobics to work on "inactive" surfaces like glass and non-ferrous/cuprous metals.

I never could figure out why automakers would mount a mirror to the glass anyway...they outta know NO adhesive works well on glass...mirror mounts should be screwed into the metal framing above the windshield opening...

Originally Posted By: grampi
I never could figure out why automakers would mount a mirror to the glass anyway...they outta know NO adhesive works well on glass...mirror mounts should be screwed into the metal framing above the windshield opening...

That sure is my preference. The mirror in my 89 Honda Accord was mounted that way for 23 years - until I got rid of the car. The one in my 72 Pontiac had to be re-glued twice just in the ten years I owned the car. The only time I ever saw one mounted to the ceiling fall off was when a friend of mine didn't close the hood properly and it flew open at speed. The front of the hood smacked the roof and knocked the screws loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back