Realtors

Status
Not open for further replies.
MLS is a good way to see more homes. You just have to weed out the realtors that only want to list as many homes as possible, then sit back and hope somebody else sells them.

My buyers broker in Florida saved me $50,000 buying my home there...plus he had lived in the area for 40 years and knew every neighborhood. Very worthwhile.

It's just life. I answer the same questions day in and out. I dedicate webpages and FAQ's to limit those questions but no one reads. No one wants to pay shipping on anything. When it comes to saving a few pennies no one has any loyalty. That said why should relator's be immune....

Originally Posted By: hatt
Monthly "I hate REALTORS" thread!!!

These threads remind me perennial "I am not going to rip-off artists at the stealership" on limousines online discussions..

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Besides being one step above a scummy lawyer, just remember one thing about a realtor: They represent the seller, BY LAW. They are NOT on your side, but on the seller's side.

By law, they may appear to represent a seller or buyer, as the case may be. However, in the real world, these "realtors" represent themselves and looking for a fat commission to stick in their pockets.

hatt,
...then bring the good arguments for realtors.

let me bring a few good ones:
-good realtors are also investors, so they are interested in the evolution (or not) of the community they invest/serve
-they "know" the area: the good parts and the bad parts and the maybes
-they educate you, the beginner buyer (but also warn you not to waste their time)
-they fight for your deal
-they fire you, the buyer if you are too needy, time consuming, hard to take a decision, unreasonable, etc etc

now bad ones:
-just open mls: no pictures, few pictures (really? just a picture of the outside of the house?), bad/shaky/unclear/fuzzy pictures, incorrect data (# of bedrooms, bathrooms, flooring)
-never return your call/email
-not touch or present you properties they don't want to bother with
-etc etc

I've only sold one place, but was happy with the realtor, and we were upfront with everything, even things that, legally, I didn't have to be, but she went along with my decision to list a few trouble spots so a potential buyer couldn't say that I didn't tell them.

Now some of the agents that represented the various buyers...I still can't understand why they would bring someone who wanted a 2-car garage and basement to a townhouse that was clearly listed as being on a slab with a 1-car garage, and then complaining that the place didn't have a basement and only a 1-car garage...
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: pandus13

hatt,
...then bring the good arguments for realtors.

Waste of time and unnecessary. 90% of homes are sold using a sales agent. Whenever you find a REALTOR hater simply ask them if they were selling a home to people that had a contingency that they needed to sell their current home first before they buy, would they want those people to call an agent and list it or stick a FSBO sign in the yard.

If you want something done right, you have to DIY. That goes for car repairs, home buying, vehicle purchases, literally anything imaginable. If you make a mistake, learn from it. Every day is a learning experience.

It all depends.

You are looking at someone making a living off unstable commission source and a lot of time doing a lot of work and end up not making any money out of it, and then times when you don't do much and make a lot.

So in this condition you will attract a lot of corner cutters and genuinely good people who got a lot of good will for their services.

I'm on house #4, wouldn't consider buying or selling one without a Realtor. Most people are clueless to buying or selling something as simple as a dresser on Craigslist, I wouldn't deal with someone directly on a house sale.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I'm on house #4, wouldn't consider buying or selling one without a Realtor. Most people are clueless to buying or selling something as simple as a dresser on Craigslist, I wouldn't deal with someone directly on a house sale.

I'm glad that you wasn't my buyer when I sold my Irvine house by myself 2 years ago.

When I listed my house on "Sell By Owner" website I had many phone and email from real estate agents representing buyer, they told me I didn't have to pay them commission, their clients would pay them.

I refused to let them and their clients see the house, I only allowed buyers see the house by themselves, no realtors were allowed inside my house.

I sold my house directly to a buyer without paying any penny to a realtor.

Sell your own property - save thousands in "commissions".
You just need to have your own attorney, (who handles real estate transactions), to oversee the closing and answer any questions you might have during the sales process, including providing you with a valid sales contract for YOU to use, then you will have a real professional to represent you during this entire process and keep you out of trouble. Yes, this will require some of your time, but you will earn enough to take a nice cruise with what you don't give away.
So, who takes the nice trip? Will it be you or some "real estate agent"?

Last edited:
Sometimes the propery was recently annexed by a city and the tax records are messed up and the realtor actually has no idea the MLS is incorrect as to taxes. Had this recently with daughter's house, I saw the Entering City Limits sign looked at the taxes and knew only the county taxes had been listed. Listing realtor simply did not know that the taxes were actually double. The records she pulled only had county taxes

Originally Posted By: Spector
Sometimes the propery was recently annexed by a city and the tax records are messed up and the realtor actually has no idea the MLS is incorrect as to taxes. Had this recently with daughter's house, I saw the Entering City Limits sign looked at the taxes and knew only the county taxes had been listed. Listing realtor simply did not know that the taxes were actually double. The records she pulled only had county taxes

Would the realtor be on the hook for that over site or is that something the lawyer would catch?

Originally Posted By: cjcride
Originally Posted By: Spector

Would the realtor be on the hook for that over site or is that something the lawyer would catch?

Usually there's a disclaimer in the P&S that says that the buyer verified all the info. For us, the buyer's attorney usually gets a certificate from the city that says all the taxes were paid and that usually lists what all the taxes are.

As for listing it yourself and saving thousands, the problem with that theory is that price is usually tied to supply and demand. There's a certain amount of demand generated by Realtors who may notify their clients of a property that they may not be actively looking for everyday. It's a typically forest for trees mentality. Even I've been shocked lately at the bidding wars that are going on, most of them have been represented by brokers. Most FSBOs probably would have been happy to take the first offer, but I've told my sellers to wait and the prices have been shocking.

Realtors can get you higher and better offers and take on some liability in transactions so they definitely have their place. I am surprised that the technological age we live in hasn't found a good way to whittle down their commissions from the expected 6% to maybe half that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back