earlier civics-- auto trans vs 5 spd

Status
Not open for further replies.
well after 500K miles on my auto accord (original motor and trans) i am looking at some civics and am wondering about the transmissions. I was very fortunate to not have any trouble with my 95 accord auto trans BUT have heard many people complaining of honda AT's being less than reliable/Durable. does anyone have more knowledge or experience with the AT in the civics--- im looking at the 99-04 (and yes i know its two different gens) should i get auto or 5spd? mostly highway miles and plan on keeping for a long time just like my accord. any input would be appreciated..

Definitely get the 5 speed. It's more fun and reliable. I have a 01 accord auto and the auto trans sucks. Hondas of this generation have bad auto transmissions. They work fine but can develop problems and fail fast.

Manual is better for mpg and reliability and less maintenance = cheaper.

BUT, they can be harder to find. Older Civics will have many manual trans choices, though. Just look for a well-cared for, STOCK, one.

Oh, and grab an HX if you're okay with a coupe - they're slow but get 42+ MPG (HX = manual only, as their ATX was a CV that grenaded routinely).

We personally had an '01 with the auto with about 250k, no issues with the transmission or engine. I've heard of others with transmission issues though. I'd probably look for a clean stock 99/00 6th gen with a 5 speed, maybe the SI?
smile.gif

I probably wouldn't limit yourself here based on the transmission, I would just try to find the cleanest example of what you want and go from there. I wouldn't pass up a low mileage gem just because it's auto.

Start looking ahead of time and find a sweet one with 5spd. That way you KNOW you're good.

Get a 5 speed manual Civic.

I inherited a 2005 Civic coupe with auto transmission. Decent car with only 35K miles. Just did air bag recall and replaced original tires.

Civic auto is actually ok, Accord / TL auto for the V6 are junk.

I have an Integra with 250k miles on original auto tranny and it is still going strong.

Stay away from the CNG civic with CVT, those grenade right after the warranty expire.

Last edited:
Honda didn't fully figure automatics out until after 2005- their AT's (especially behind v6 engines) made the 1989 Chrysler Ultradrive look positively wonderful. If you're buying older than that, definitely get a manual.

Originally Posted By: JamesBond
7th gen civic manuals sometimes have input shaft bearing problems at higher mileages.

Yes this will happen to all the model years in question. It is not a very complicated thing to change the bearings though as long as you do it before the transmission completely blows up.

Originally Posted By: mk378
Originally Posted By: JamesBond
7th gen civic manuals sometimes have input shaft bearing problems at higher mileages.

Yes this will happen to all the model years in question. It is not a very complicated thing to change the bearings though as long as you do it before the transmission completely blows up.

Yep. Pretty much all '88-'05 Civic MTs suffer from ISB failures later in life, and honestly I've seen every bearing with a Nylon cage fail at some point in these transmissions.

Replacement is pretty easy in the '00 and older. The subframe has to come out to remove the transmission in the 7th gen.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Get a 5 speed manual Civic.

I inherited a 2005 Civic coupe with auto transmission. Decent car with only 35K miles. Just did air bag recall and replaced original tires.

Any civic except recent is downgrade from an accord. I wouldn't bother. I car pool and all generations of civic except current make me cringe but accord is so much nicer to ride or drive. They seem to hold up better.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Wow 500,000 miles on a v6 automatic accord??

It may be just short of a miracle

No, it is not a miracle. I'm betting that it is what can be done when everywhere you drive it is flat ground, and probably a lot of highway.

If that vehicle was driven daily with the stop and go traffic and hills in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania you would lucky to get 150K from the trany.

I'd get another Accord instead of riding around in a penalty box.

That's why I got my Camry, I sat down in a 2002 Corolla and it's small, was a bit hard to get in and out (I'm 6'2") and I said "nope" and found my Camry. Much more cushy and comfortable. I also test drove a Toyota Matrix, my god, that was just awful. Suspension hopped around and I felt like it had no springs/struts, just jumped and hopped and I could feel every crack in the road.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Wow 500,000 miles on a v6 automatic accord??

It may be just short of a miracle

No, it is not a miracle. I'm betting that it is what can be done when everywhere you drive it is flat ground, and probably a lot of highway.

If that vehicle was driven daily with the stop and go traffic and hills in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania you would lucky to get 150K from the trany.

You aren't kidding! I was getting on the Parkway East from the Blvd of the Allies, totaled the TL at 109k. Just had it's third transmission installed. It was a miserable POS, the Altima behind it put it out of it's misery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back