Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Transmission $7200 CAD!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A good friend and neighbour had the misfortune of having the transmission on his 2011 Sonata Hybrid fail, 2 months out of warranty. The bill was shared 50/50 with Hyundai Canada, but he's still out of pocket $3,600 CAD.

I didn't want to rub salt in his wound, but his first mistake was made in 2011...but this guy owned the very first Hybrid Honda Civic in our city and was featured in the local news...so he sort of knew the Hybrid thing already. What a price to pay for technology!

The net is full of these transmission horror stories for his car, maybe there might be some class action?

Last edited:
Most people don't realize that the $ saved on gas is easily spent on maintenance out of the warranty period. Some get lucky, others don't. I like to keep it simple - gas engine, manual transmission.

Is there anything special about this transmission? New OEM trannies (as opposed to junkyard or rebuilt) are always expensive and this seems in line with what I would expect from a dealer.

Just for reference 7200 CAD is 5612 USD at time of this reply.

Usually car companies don't do anything out of warranty especially after a 10 year 100,000 mile warranty.. I know very little about those transmissions but that sounds high.. I know people want to save money on gas but at what price?? Maybe im missing something but i prefer a safer vehicle..
How many miles on that trans?

Originally Posted By: dmdx86
Is there anything special about this transmission? New OEM trannies (as opposed to junkyard or rebuilt) are always expensive and this seems in line with what I would expect from a dealer.

Just for reference 7200 CAD is 5612 USD at time of this reply.

The lithium batteries are built into the area a torque converter would normally be found. Not a stellar design - but cheaper for Hyundon't to bring to market.

Someone once told me that all hybrids are made by Toyota. The cost to design one from scratch is too high, so the other car companies just source it from Toyota.

I was a Hyundai owner and active on a Hyundai forum when the Sonata hybrids came out. They had lots of problems, didn't get great mileage and were definitely half baked.

Hybrids are one of the areas that shows Hyundai is still a step behind the big boys of the industry.

EDIT - I just looked on HyundaiOEMparts, which is a website I used to order Hyundai parts from. They say the list price for a 2011 Sonata Hybrid transaxle is $7400, and their retail price is $5560.

http://www.hyundaioemparts.com/hyundai/s..._name=transaxle

For a 2011 Sonata GLS they have transaxle list prices of $5500 and $5900 and retail prices of $4156 or $4456

These prices are all in USD, not beaver dollars.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
Someone once told me that all hybrids are made by Toyota. The cost to design one from scratch is too high, so the other car companies just source it from Toyota.

Not true, although some companies have licensed hybrid tech from Toyota.

Toyota has some very important patents - Ford decided to license those for their hybrids.

Allison for their transit bus hybrid systems buys battery packs from Panasonic/PEVE, which also supplies Toyota and Tesla.

Originally Posted By: nthach

Toyota has some very important patents - Ford decided to license those for their hybrids.

Allison for their transit bus hybrid systems buys battery packs from Panasonic/PEVE, which also supplies Toyota and Tesla.

Not quite. Ford developed a system (independently) that was functionally very similar to Toyota's HSD. Rather than feuding over it, Ford licensed the 21 applicable patents from Toyota and in exchange, Toyota licensed emissions technology patents from Ford.

How can you be 2 months out of warranty on a car that is 5 years old with a 10 year warranty?

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
How can you be 2 months out of warranty on a car that is 5 years old with a 10 year warranty?

Maybe the milage is out of warranty 2 months ago.

Honda's hybrid system didn't came from Toyota, it is totally difference.

Honda isn't known to use anyone designs or patents. Even some simple tech's such as ABS, EFI(Electronic Fuel Injector) ... Honda refused to license those. They developed their own and that why they had different names: ALB instead of ABS, Programmed Fuel Injector instead of EFI.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear

I bet he bought it used and only got the 5/60 warranty.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: PandaBear

I bet he bought it used and only got the 5/60 warranty.

My 2011 Kia Optima has been a great car and the dealaership has been good as well. I believe that Kia and Hyundai in Canada have a 100,000 km or 5 five year warranty not a ten year warranty. That is what my Optima has.

The Kia dealer here has eight new 2015 Kia Optima hybrids still available which I thought was interesting.

The Canadians get a 5 year powertrain warranty or 100,000 km. The USA gets 10 years powertrain.

Canada buys more Hyundai per capita than USA and we get the raw deal on warranty...I feel for my friend.
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: KGMtech

The Canadians get a 5 year powertrain warranty or 100,000 km. The USA gets 10 years powertrain.

Canada buys more Hyundai per capita than USA and we get the raw deal on warranty...I feel for my friend.
mad.gif

Weird...I can't see how Canada would be more demanding on the powertrain than the US...cold temps maybe, but I still don't think that explains getting 1/2 the warranty.

That transmission doesn't appear to have a reman option available, so that's part of why the price is so high. More unique application + only brand new units available = expensive. New Hyundai transmissions are generally pretty pricey even on the more conventional models. They require dealers to use a reman if available.

Originally Posted By: KGMtech

mad.gif

That sucks! I wonder if a Canadian came and bought one in the U.S. and drove it back home if it would be worth it. Maybe pricing would be better too? I also wonder if the warranty would stay 10 year/100k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back