it was so hot...

Status
Not open for further replies.
When i was a young lad living in south texas, It was so hot, we used to feed crushed ice to the chickens in the summer so they would not put out hard boiled eggs! LOL

It was so hot that mama turned the oven on and opened the door to cool down the kitchen!

(this is a corollary to a joke that a guy told me about living in a Duluth apartment with poor heating...he would open the fridge door to warm the place up)

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
(this is a corollary to a joke that a guy told me about living in a Duluth apartment with poor heating...he would open the fridge door to warm the place up)

Well that actually would work
grin.gif

It was so hot that mama turned the oven on and opened the door to cool down the kitchen!

Ever been to Duluth? Not the coldest place in MN but that wind will suck the heat right out of a place.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Airplanes couldn't land in Phoenix for fear the tires would blow.

No wait, that happened.

It was so hot that airplanes couldn't take off at Phoenix because the air was too thin for the engines to develop enough thrust.

No wait, that happens pretty much every summer...

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Well that actually would work
grin.gif

No, if you understood how refrigerators work, you would know that that would not work.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
No, if you understood how refrigerators work, you would know that that would not work.

Actually, it would work. I remember this as a question in my thermodynamics class.

What? You always heat up your house with a refrigerator, and if you leave the door open it will produce even more heat. Assuming of course the temperature in the house is above the set point of the refrigerator's thermostat.

Originally Posted By: Kestas

Actually, it would work. I remember this as a question in my thermodynamics class.

I agree. The electrical energy spent trying to cool the surroundings would generate heat.

Only way it wouldn't work would be if the heat distribution coils were not in the same space; 40 or more years ago I saw a refrigerator set into a kitchen wall in such a way that the heat distribution coils were in the porch behind - in that (very rare) situation it would heat the porch and cool the kitchen - but I digress. As a general statement, it would work.

Originally Posted By: ironman_gq

Ever been to Duluth? Not the coldest place in MN but that wind will suck the heat right out of a place.

I have been to Duluth, but only in the summer.
My wife used to live in Rice Lake, WI and we drove up to Superior/Duluth a couple of times when I visited her (pre-marriage). We would mess around by the lake for fun, not exactly ideal beach conditions but we found stuff to do. She told me that Rice Lake was usually the coldest spot on the WI TV weather maps because things warmed up a bit as you went North towards Lake Superior...folks would cut across the frozen lake in the winter to take a few minutes off their drives, something she was never brave enough to try.

Originally Posted By: ecotourist

I agree. The electrical energy spent trying to cool the surroundings would generate heat.

Only way it wouldn't work would be if the heat distribution coils were not in the same space; 40 or more years ago I saw a refrigerator set into a kitchen wall in such a way that the heat distribution coils were in the porch behind - in that (very rare) situation it would heat the porch and cool the kitchen - but I digress. As a general statement, it would work.

Rare for home refrigeration, but most supermarket refrigerated display cases have their condenser coils (and often compressors) mounted outside the store so they're not just shedding heat into the store interior which then has to be dealt with by the building HVAC. In the summer, the display cases actually help keep the building cool.

Originally Posted By: ironman_gq

I have been to Duluth, but only in the summer.
My wife used to live in Rice Lake, WI and we drove up to Superior/Duluth a couple of times when I visited her (pre-marriage). We would mess around by the lake for fun, not exactly ideal beach conditions but we found stuff to do. She told me that Rice Lake was usually the coldest spot on the WI TV weather maps because things warmed up a bit as you went North towards Lake Superior...folks would cut across the frozen lake in the winter to take a few minutes off their drives, something she was never brave enough to try.

Beautiful place and the beaches are not the best. I live about an hour from there, gets quite a bit colder here but we don't get the wind off the lake or the insulating affect of the lake.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: ecotourist

Rare for home refrigeration, but most supermarket refrigerated display cases have their condenser coils (and often compressors) mounted outside the store so they're not just shedding heat into the store interior which then has to be dealt with by the building HVAC. In the summer, the display cases actually help keep the building cool.

I've seen propane powered fridges that have their hot side out in the porch, they work a little differently though and use the liquid propane as the refrigerant and burn it off after it's expanded in the evaporator coil.

A fridge with the door open would definitely have a net heat gain in a room though. Only way they wouldn't is if you could somehow make on that is 100% efficient I'd guess the best your going to find is 80-90% using the WAG method. The rest is lost as heat in pumping inefficiency and electrical loss all converted to heat at some point.

One thing about the "fridge with the door open" discussion: yes, it warms the room overall, but not by much. The amount of net heat input to the room is the electrical power draw of the fridge, and those are pretty low these days. 20-30 watt range. Small space heaters are 1000-1500 watts, so a fridge makes a pretty poor space heater no matter how you slice it. Now if you bought a 1.5-ton window air conditioner and ran it sitting in the middle of the room, it would be a little more effective (and a lot louder...) ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back