Trans fluid color

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2013 Silverado with 97k miles.. During service i checked the trams fluid. I noticed it wasn't bright red.. It was more moronish... Almost clear.. Should this concern me or is it normal? Should I leave it alone?? Change it?? Any information or advice appreciated

Were it my 97,000 mile vehicle I'd drop the pan, change the filter and drain the torque converter if it had a plug.
I would reserve a small sample for future color comparison.
Install the new filter, clean the pan and magnet and bring the fluid up to level.
Then, after a week of driving, I'd take another small sample of fluid and compare.

I'm assuming your transmission is shifting OK.
I'm assuming your unit has a dipstick through which you can draw the second sample via a small run of soft tubing.

No big deal here. Get some dirt out and you'll be better off.

Does the OLM tell you when to change the ATF too? (some of them, like Honda's, tell you more than just the oil) If so, then you can follow its suggestions with no worries.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with changing it now, if it's never been changed before. Does your truck have a drain plug for the transmission? If not, an aftermarket pan might be available that does have one.

Originally Posted By: Egg_Head
maybe maroonish? It could be moronish not to change it.

lol.gif

Maroon-ish or moron-ish, I've turned into both shades on more than one occasion.

I'd change the fluid, but I'm not sure I'd worry much about it--many stories of people changing "dirty" fluid and then motoring on for many years.

With that mileage, it's time for a change. As slacktide said, a pan with a drain plug would be a good addition, especially if you plan to keep the truck and continue racking up miles like you have.

It is time for a change. I ordered a Dorman pan from Rockauto with plug in it. You can also install your own plug in the pan you have now. Whichever you do it is time to drain the fluid.

I changed mine and also drained the torque converter. Put in a new filter. When I was pouring in new fluid I noticed some bottle colors were not as red as another. I bought bottles from three sources to get the amount I needed. So three different fluid runs and the color did vary.

With the plug in mine now I will be able to do annual drain and refills. That will only change out a bit less than half the fluid but the transmission will be getting recharged with a new batch of fluid each year. I'm ok with that cost.

Subaru's ATF-HP tends to turn a clear color just from being exposed to air. I suspect that companies are using a different type of dye for the red that doesn't hold up.

I wouldn't worry, change it when it is due, shows dirt, or smells burned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back