NEW Desktop PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought my first new desktop PC in 10 YEARS!

Sure several laptops, several phones, but my HP with Vista, 8GB Ram, 1TB HD and AMD 64 processor worked pretty darn good for 10 years. It's still running on another table and sure makes transition easy, although Mozilla FF and TB are pretty manual in the profile department - Firefox and Thunderbird profile information cannot be "imported". Mozilla did not make it easy to figure out. I got frustrated and just deleted the contents of the NEW TBird profile and copied the ALL the contents from huge old profile into the new folder. Worked like a champ! I don't understand why renaming the old folder with the new folder name wouldn't work, but I did the same file move with Firefox and it works perfectly!

Anyway I searched around for PC's and noted my thread asking about Ascendtech was not responded to. I did further research and really was looking for a powerful business PC that could multitask music and videos. Seemed like I couldn't find the right combo without building it myself. I didn't have time to order and cobble so I ended up with iBUYPOWER.com. Got the i7, 32GB Ram, good MB, 500GB SS HD, 5TB HD, a 970 Graphics card with 4GB, SB Z card, etc - gamer [censored] really, but seems like the way to go vs. shopping "business system". Oh baby this thing screams. Windows 10 works perfectly fine, but don't want to sign up to get notepad and such. We'll see.

Sounds great! I still like the "old school" PC format, using one right now....Carry on..
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Got the i7, 32GB Ram, good MB, 500GB SS HD, 5TB HD, a 970 Graphics card with 4GB, SB Z card, etc

Wow... talk about overkill. I wish I would have seen your other post. There is a company up near where you live called Puget Systems, some say they are the best computer builder in the country. They only use top shelf components and tailor the system to the customers budget and needs.

If you're not doing video editing or really serious gaming, all you really need with Windows 10 for outstanding performance is an i5, 8 GB RAM, a SSD and the i5's on-board Intel graphics.

Nice setup. Likely overkill for business however this one will be usable for years to come. You bought the Hellcat for a company car.

Windows 10 makes even low end hardware sing especially when an ssd is in the mix.

Sounds like a nice system-the solid state hard drive is incredibly fast-mine takes about 38 seconds from the time I hit restart until I'm back at the Windows 10 desktop.

Originally Posted By: Cardenio327
There is a company up near where you live called Puget Systems, some say they are the best computer builder in the country. They only use top shelf components and tailor the system to the customers budget and needs.

I replaced my home workstation last fall with one from Puget. The price was only marginally higher than an equivalent HP or Dell, but the customer service and quality are light years ahead. It was interesting to see the test results and the infrared pictures when it was being stress tested.

Nice unit.
I have many computers and build-assemble one-two a year- its a disease.
I like to use the latest fastest ram but 8-16 GB does it for me and always pay big time for a Platinum PSU- that is the heart of the system. Now I use PCIe card hard drives as they blow away normal SSD's. I also always use a trick quiet PSU cooler and go mid stream on the cpu.....

The only issue with Puget systems is your setup would have cost $3500.

I build super fast systems for under $800- my own of course.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
... but don't want to sign up to get notepad and such.

Huh? Notepad is there.

Found it via searching. I wrongly assumed OneNote had taken its place - OneNote does require signing up and paying (?I assume!) Thanks much!!

Yes, somewhat overkill. Puget Sound Systems is good but VERY expensive. My whole setup with ultra quiet fans and watercooled processor ~$1600. PSS would have been well north of $2500. Trade off some of the peripherals such as the "free" gaming keyboard are kind of cheap looking, but quite stable and solid.

Wow, I didn't know 5TB was available yet, lol! I'm always behind the times when it comes to PCs unless I'm building or buying a new one. It's at that point that I read up and re-learn everything for a couple weeks then I don't follow the latest and greatest anymore.

And here I am, excited that I just acquired an old, 'new-to-me' (free) Toshiba laptop with 4 GIGS of ram! The most RAM I've had on one computer. Wiped awful Vista and did a clean install of Win7 and I'll be good for another couple years. Might even invest in a battery as this one doesn't charge any longer.

Enjoy the new system! If I were you I'd go to the CanYouRunIt website and see if there was anything that beast couldn't run.

I don't understand why renaming the old folder with the new folder name wouldn't work, but I did the same file move with Firefox and it works perfectly!

It all has to do with the way Windows/NTFS handles folder permissions.

You would have actually been able to get it to work, but it would require you add your new local account to the folder permissions.

Windows does have a built in migration wizard that would have handled this for you, but it's not that easy to find for some reason. Heck I'm not even sure Windows 10 has it anymore, tbh...

Originally Posted By: Cardenio327

If you're not doing video editing or really serious gaming, all you really need with Windows 10 for outstanding performance is an i5, 8 GB RAM, a SSD and the i5's on-board Intel graphics.

For today, yes. But if he is planning to keep it for 10 years like his previous machine, then he is right to go for a beefed up setup, IMO.

Quote:
although Mozilla FF and TB are pretty manual in the profile department - Firefox and Thunderbird profile information cannot be "imported". Mozilla did not make it easy to figure out. I got frustrated and just deleted the contents of the NEW TBird profile and copied the ALL the contents from huge old profile into the new folder. Worked like a champ! I don't understand why renaming the old folder with the new folder name wouldn't work, but I did the same file move with Firefox and it works perfectly!

Windows easy transfer will do it. I also tried Mozbackup, but recently saw where it's no longer supported.

You didn't want the gtx 1080?! jk

ibuypower i think just does custom built PC's and rebrands over the casing - no?

what model 970? evga? msi?
What model/gen i7?
what brand and model mobo? (just curious about the chipset)
what frequency ram?
what brand/model SSD?

just curious ^_^

Last edited:
Processor doesn't matter a ton for desktop apps.

We just started rolling out the dell Laptops with the m2 SSD hard drives inside.

They are NOTICEABLY faster than the SATA SSD drives.

Build something with a m2 drive, and 16gb of ram or 32gb and you will have a screamer.

what model 970? evga? msi? MSI - I'm pretty sure a GTX 960 2GB would have been fine
What model/gen i7? Intel Core i7-6700K Processor (4x 4.00GHz/8MB L3 Cache)
what brand and model mobo? (just curious about the chipset) MSI Z170A SLI Plus -- 3x PCIe 3.0 x16, 6x USB 3.1 Gen1, 1x USB 3.1 Gen2 Type-C
what frequency ram? 32 GB [8 GB x4] DDR4-2800 Memory Module - ADATA XPG Z1
what brand/model SSD? 512 GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back