2010 Honda Pilot, 3.5, Penn Ultra, 6k on oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trav
These engines are not the best the VCM beats the hades out f the engine and the oil, they need a shorter OCI and a higher viscosity if they are going to have any sort of longevity without needing some very expensive repairs down the road.
Xw20 is the absolute worst thing you could put in it and running it for 6K is too long.
5w30 is okay but 0w40 is even better, change it at 4K those numbers drop like a rock if not I am afraid the engine may already be going away
If the engine is still okay I would put a VCM muzzler on it and turn that garbage off once and for all.

My wife loves her 2010 Odyssey. Thanks to Trav, I run 0w-40 and I've also disabled the VCM with a VCMUZZLER. The engine runs like it was supposed to before they mucked it up with VCM.

I have read about the VCM Muzzler, how long have you had it...any problems? I'm gonna go w/ 5k and try a 5W30 syn. I was actually thinking about a HM oil...???

Originally Posted By: GregGA
Originally Posted By: Trav
These engines are not the best the VCM beats the hades out f the engine and the oil, they need a shorter OCI and a higher viscosity if they are going to have any sort of longevity without needing some very expensive repairs down the road.
Xw20 is the absolute worst thing you could put in it and running it for 6K is too long.
5w30 is okay but 0w40 is even better, change it at 4K those numbers drop like a rock if not I am afraid the engine may already be going away
If the engine is still okay I would put a VCM muzzler on it and turn that garbage off once and for all.

My wife loves her 2010 Odyssey. Thanks to Trav, I run 0w-40 and I've also disabled the VCM with a VCMUZZLER. The engine runs like it was supposed to before they mucked it up with VCM.

Smart move on the VCMUZZLER. The sooner you get that on the better!

p1zippie said:
I have read about the VCM Muzzler, how long have you had it...any problems? I'm gonna go w/ 5k and try a 5W30 syn. I was actually thinking about a HM oil...??? [/quot

I bought our Odyssey used in Dec 15 with 61k. I had my Honda mechanic check it out prior to purchase, and we felt it had suffered no ill effects of the VCM. I installed the Muzzler the day after I brought the van home (engine must be stone cold). We've put 5500 miles on the van since then, and the van runs great, just like our previous 2004 non-VCM Odyssey. Gas mileage is better than our 2004.

Go over to Odyclub.com. There are a ton of posts on the Muzzler, plus some interesting info on how it was designed and why it will not harm your engine in any way. No one has reported any problems, and some have put 40k + on their Muzzled vans. Owners of 2016 vans are getting the Muzzler. It is a 5 minute install, sold by Odyclub member Verbatim up in Canada. Looks OEM. Besides saving your engine, the active Motor mounts($$$) will hopefully last longer. It also works on Honda Pilots.

I would not have bought this van if I hadn't known about the Muzzler. Who wants a possible ring eating, oil burning nightmare!

I have literally no idea how to copy and past the actual wear metal results from the Blackstone UOA report, but below is their interpretation:

OCI is 9812 miles and 35,680 mi on engine.

TRAVIS: We found excess silicon in this sample from your Accord, but aside from that, things look good,
especially considering the time on this oil. Universal averages for the 3.5L J-series engine are based on
~3,600 miles of oil use, so your metals are impressively low on a per-mile basis. Silicon could show
abrasive dirt getting past the air filter, but if that were the case, we'd expect higher metals than this. It may
just be a harmless additive or gasket sealer or something like that. The TBN of 2.4 is good, so try 12,000
miles next oil. Nice!

This is from my 2015 Accord EX-L V6. It has the J35Y1, VCM engine (it is 6AT). I think that the Pilots originally had the 3-stage VCM (3,4 or 6 cylinder operation), whereas the newer VCM engines are only 2-stage. Mine operates in 3-cylinder or 6-cylinder mode. Obviously, there is no issue with this. From what I've seen, the #4 cylinder on the Pilots was very infrequently used and was one of the shut down cylinders in 3 and 4-cylinder modes, leading to excessive compression ring spinning and oil use.

Not sure what all of this means, but mine does well with what the dealership uses, Pennzoil Gold Syn Blend 5W-20.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back