we need to clean paper filter with air compressed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm before using paper filter, i used cotton gauze filter and it is not good in my are, because it is very dusty. The filter is dirty on 2000km..very short time and i dont have much time to clean and clean..

So i decided to change to paper filter. And i have a question.

Do we need clean the paper filter with air compressed for maintenance just to remove the dust until change the filter? Or no need to do that (i mean the maintenance) just change as per change interval?

I would lightly vacuum a paper filter to extend its life. Compressed air can be rather strong and may damage the paper.

if your filter is getting dirty that fast I would look into a pre filter of some sort. a washable one if available would save a bunch of money.

I wouldn't advise using compressed air, it's possible to damage the pores with high pressure air. I just leave it be until I want to change it. Right now I'm planning on 4 years 40k intervals since I noticed about 5 years old the gaskets stiffen

Originally Posted By: abycat
if your filter is getting dirty that fast I would look into a pre filter of some sort. a washable one if available would save a bunch of money.

Cheapest pre-filter is discarded pantyhose.

Somewhere on front of the filter box there is a place to insert discarded pantyhose. Clean/replace it once in a while without disturbing the filter.

Another cheap pre-filter is flexible screen/porch material costing pennies. Those also work in front of car radiators. Same light foam as often used on home AC/dehumidifier units is good too. Both easily cleanable.

hmm seems like i would prefer now not to blow the filter out with compressed air, very risky, because it will enchance the gap between filter also..

The 2KD is a diesel engine is it not. If my air filter was getting dirty that soon(confirmed by restriction gauge) I would put a after market air filter on that is larger than the stock filter. That way it would take longer to get a restriction. You want the cleanest air for your engine so I would not use a K&N or other so called high performance air filter.

ROD

Last edited:
Never attempt to clean the filter. I end up replacing many of the absurdly small compressor air filters with Donaldson Duralite. Way over dimensioned, but easy and gives you a little compartment for the air to circulate around, dropping heavier particles before getting to the element.

In many cases I recommend moving the compressor, or the air intake around the corner or into another room that is cleaner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back