Kudos to Ford and a dealer

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a Ford 15 pax van in our fleet at work. It had developed a whine from the tranny. I had gotten a letter from Ford three years back offering an extended warranty on the tranny for certain VINs, one of which was ours, and saying that there could be problems with a bearing in the planetary gearset and that this would cause a whine.
I sent this letter to our tech and then forgot about it.
Last week, our tech called me, described the van as having the whine and remembered the letter from Ford. He asked me to come out to the garage and listen to it. You have no idea how flattering it is to have an ASE master who had years of shop experience before taking a pay cut to come to work for us ask one's opinion on a diagnoses is.
Anyway, the whine did seem to be coming from the tranny. The dead giveaway was that when you loaded the tranny by selecting either first or reverse at rest, the noise went away.
So, our tech called around and selected a Ford dealer. They began work by removing the pan. Their service writer called me and said that their tech found a lot of metal debris in the pan, which would be consistent with the bearing failure that we suspected. He then said that they'd need to do a teardown to find out for sure and that if the bearing problem turned out not to be the cause, we'd have to pay them around a grand. Having little choice, I gave the okay. The guy called me back today and said that the bearing was the problem and that there was other consequent damage and that Ford had authorized a complete rebuild which wouldn't cost us a dime.
Kudos to both the honest dealer service department and Ford for stepping up to the plate.
Incidentally, the vehicle in question has 118K on it so it's not like it's almost new.

In the vehicle as a whole?
Probably nothing. Its miles are highway, its drivers complain about every little thing as though they were driving a leased Mercedes and our tech is very competent and stays on top of all maintenance needs.
If you saw or drove the thing, you wouldn't believe the mileage on it.

A new transmission for $1K at 118K miles is still a good deal. I'd like to sign up for that when my car gets to that age.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Nice. But what else needs replacing / worn out ?

If it's directly related to the transmission rebuild or R&R, Ford should cover it.

Either way, I wouldn't complain about a no charge trans at those miles.

Are they actually rebuilding it? Hopefully a rebuild totals it out and they put in a reman. I'm not a huge fan of building transmissions outside of a transmission shop that has a clean room. They do need to be built in a clean, careful environment which is often not what a dealer service department is. I work at a GM dealer and it seems like a lot of the transmissions we build fail in short order...and the guy that does them is very smart and very conscientious. I don't think it's him, I think it's trying to build a trans in a shop that's simply not clean enough to do it right. Thankfully they usually total out and we just get a GM reman, or in some cases a brand new transmission.

They will have to do a cost cap. Basically you price out all the components required versus an assembly. The seal kit, clutches, and steels are pretty cheap. Once you start adding in hard parts the price goes up a lot.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
A new transmission for $1K at 118K miles is still a good deal. I'd like to sign up for that when my car gets to that age.

The 1K was the cost of tearing it down to determine whether the problem would be covered. Had the problem not been covered, we'd have had to pay them the grand. Fair enough, since neither Ford nor their dealers can work for free. Since the problem is covered, we'll pay nada.
Your cars are also well past the age of this E350. It's a '12.
The difference is that an E350 is a commercial vehicle, not a passenger car. It's expected to last twenty years or a few hundred thousand miles. I have a 22 YO E350 and can attest to their durability.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
We have a Ford 15 pax van in our fleet at work. It had developed a whine from the tranny. I had gotten a letter from Ford three years back offering an extended warranty on the tranny for certain VINs, one of which was ours, and saying that there could be problems with a bearing in the planetary gearset and that this would cause a whine.
The guy called me back today and said that the bearing was the problem and that there was other consequent damage and that Ford had authorized a complete rebuild which wouldn't cost us a dime.
Kudos to both the honest dealer service department and Ford for stepping up to the plate.
Incidentally, the vehicle in question has 118K on it so it's not like it's almost new.

Agree. Thumb up to both dealer and Ford.

I like to see more posts like this. There are many dealers trying to help customers as much as they can, and manufactures do stand behind their products and provide quality service and warranty as promised.

Some avoided dealer's service at all cost, even don't take their new cars to Toyota dealer for free oil changes for 2 years 25k miles.

My 2000 E430 had 4 years 50k miles free maintenance(actually the cost of the car included the cost of maintenance back then), I took it to dealer for every scheduled maintenance: 4 oil chances and 1 brake flush.

My 2004 S2000 had 2(may be 3) free oil changes, 1994 LS400 gad 2 free oil changes, I took advantage of them all.

Never had any dealer service problem.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
The tranny started dying with only 118,000 miles?

Due to a manufacturing or engineering error that they knew about so they took responsibility and extended the warranty on the affected transmissions.
I'd say you can't ask for much more than that.

That's largely the reason that I posted this.
For every OEM and dealer that will take advantage of drivers on repairs, there are a couple who will bend over backwards to make things right.
Most dealers and most OEMs are honest and try to do right by there customers.
Screw enough customers as a dealer or a maker and you'll soon not have any left.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Most dealers and most OEMs are honest and try to do right by there customers.
Screw enough customers as a dealer or a maker and you'll soon not have any left.

If only you were correct. But you are NOT.

I worked in the business and know that MANY if not MOST $tealerships are so quick money oriented that they still can't break away from trying to stick to the customer if there is a easy quick buck to be made.....even if they drive that possible long term good customer away for good by screwing them.

Agreed. I have ONE good dealer I have met in my area. My RAM dealer is honest and thoroughly professional.

Typically when a client is peeved, I find it's much more of a dealer issue than a mfgr issue...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Agreed. I have ONE good dealer I have met in my area. My RAM dealer is honest and thoroughly professional.

Typically when a client is peeved, I find it's much more of a dealer issue than a mfgr issue...

Exactly; the dealer can make or break the ownership experience.

You have the rare and unfortunate gift of finding the dark cloud surrounding every silver lining.
There may well be bad dealer service departments.
I've yet to encounter one and I don't think that my luck is extraordinary enough that I always chance upon the one porpoise in a sea full of sharks.

Postscript:

I got a call from Interstate Ford this morning.
Their guy had put the gearbox back together and reinstalled it and test drove the van. And then SOMETHING HAPPENED!
The tech ended up having to remove the tranny and tear it down yet again.
Turned out to be a failed snap ring retaining the reverse cluster.
A 25 cent part creates another six or eight hours of labor.
Really bad luck.
More kudos to the dealership for being honest and keeping me informed.
I will have to shake the tech's ATF stained hand when we pick the vehicle up next week, since than sort of bad luck shouldn't happen to any honest wrench.

Dlr just got paid off in good will. That's an intangible value that is rare these days Its a Ford with 120K on it, you will be back.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back