Canadian Military research on rust/rust sprays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

Came across this some time ago when researching undercoating spray and thought I'd share. See 4.3, starting on p. 9, for details.

I like figure 4, which shows how each one performed.

Bottom line: we should all move to Trenton, ON.

From this research I ordered myself some Corrosion Free from their website.

Hope this can help anyone else out there.

Edit: Link would help: http://cradpdf.drdc-rddc.gc.ca/PDFS/unc53/p526285.pdf

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this, I use the 3000 product from CTC, and always thought it was better than Rust Check or Krown product I have had applied in past. The study confirms it.

Interesting, but they did not test anything free, like used engine oil.
Thick oil is best, the thin stuff drips off

This study does not include real life driving around throughout the year with a treated surface being exposed to rain, dirt, ice, salt and whatever else hits the undercarriage of a car while driving.

Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK

We should be recycling used motor oil, not spraying on the undercarriage of cars where it will latter drip onto the roads and into our water

Heavy metals in used motor oil.

Originally Posted By: Donald

We should be recycling used motor oil, not spraying on the undercarriage of cars where it will latter drip onto the roads and into our water

Never thought of that. I suppose lead from bearings, so a heavy metal. Can't think of any others offhand.

The other (more?) significant concerns are dioxins. Nasty.

That's why I use fresh oil. A little goes a long way.

Funnily enough I'm from the UK too. Perhaps we're more resistant/less exposed to commercials. Thank God for the BBC.

(Or it could be all that/those heavy metal(s), rotting our brains.)

In my current location rust treatments are way, way, way, way down the list of environmental hazards.

Last edited:
They say dehumidifying " Eliminated corrosion, dry rot, and leaks."

Doesn't compute. Fungal attack of wood aside, however you define "dry rot" (which they don't) its not likely to involve water.

In a vehicle context it usually means ozone and UV attack of rubber, which wont be significantly influenced by humidity.

Maybe, since it has to be done under cover, thats what protects.

Originally Posted By: Donald

You heat it up slightly then stir in some old wax candles and then brush it on over an oil drip tray. Its called Waxoil and has been use since WW1.

If you want to stop oil leaks, stay away from thin oils and use an HM oil or even a good stop leak additive IF you can't afford to fix it.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
They say dehumidifying " Eliminated corrosion, dry rot, and leaks."

DND didn't claim that, the seller of a dehumidifier equipment did. Also, it is irrelevant to the oil spray studies which are below that section.

A quick google search suggests dry rot refers to the ageing of rubber, though how dehumidified air stops that I'm not sure either.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back