Jumping between HM oils and Non Hm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your engine will fall apart
15.gif

Your wheels will probably fall off and the underbody will rust but your engine should be fine. It won't notice the switch back and forth.

Nope not a big deal. Most HM oil is just regular oil with stronger additives.

I've done it with no issues, apart from varied rates of oil consumption. The HM oils do stave off consumption on my Saturn S, a notorious oil burner though mine is better than most.

Best HM oil I used was M1-HM, followed by my current fill of Pennzoil HM. The Kendall HM I got once at Firestone did not slow consumption at all compared to non-HM oil.

But to answer the question: I have used HM, non-HM, dino, semi-syn and full-syn, 5w-20, 5w-30 and looking to use 0w-30 this coming winter. Mobil, Quaker State, Pennzoil and Kendall. My car still runs. No engine issues. As long as the oil meets your vehicle's specs, you keep it topped up and run a reasonable OCI all will be well. Might run a hair smoother or burn a bit less oil or get a tiny bit better mpg with a given oil, but not enough to get excited about.

Except here.

I was asking because I heard somewhere that it was not good for the seals to go from an oil that has a ton of seal conditioners to one that has less....

Originally Posted By: zeke1985
I was asking because I heard somewhere that it was not good for the seals to go from an oil that has a ton of seal conditioners to one that has less....

I heard the same, thus worried the first time I switched from HM back to non-HM oil. Nothing happened. Consumption is a bit lower with HM, especially Mobil 1, (which is SL not SN if that matters to you) but consumption with non-HM did not rise once I switched to it.

As noted, I've tried almost every oil tweak with this car. Forgot to note that I also top off with Peak dino. The BITOG mantra is true in my experience: Use proper-spec oil, proper grade/weight (up or down one grade if for good reason and you feel daring), keep it close to full and don't go crazy with extended intervals.

Do that and the rest of it---syn vs. dino or blend, HM or not, which name brand to choose---is minor stuff.

That's why some folks love to debate it non-stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back