Experiences with Rice derived Alcohol

Status
Not open for further replies.
So a friend and myself went to a Korean supermarket in Virginia to shop, but to experiment with Sake and Soju; the first being Japanese and the latter being Korean. We both got unbelievably sick the next day. The hangover was nothing like wine or Vodka/Gin. Ive also wondered why rice liquor is unpopular, you never hear of Americans and even Asians rave about Sake. I will say that I already know by the taste that it's not a versatile mixer. Never drinking rice alcohol again. The stuff we bought was top tier also. Ive also experienced this same hangover from plum wine.

Last edited:
I've never had issues with soju or sake. Alcohol is alcohol. I've also had erguotou several times recently. That is high proof Chinese white liquor (56% ABV).

I go to the Korean supermarket near me quite a bit. I don't buy sake there. Not a big fan of it.

Alcohol is NOT alcohol. That stuff probably had more methanol than ethanol in it. Methanol is what kills you and can leave you blind. Ethanol is your friend.

Originally Posted By: silveravant
Budweiser is made with rice. I can never understand why it is the largest selling beer. Bud light is the worst.
It is the official beer of N.A.S.C.A.R.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
Alcohol is NOT alcohol. That stuff probably had more methanol than ethanol in it.

Well, not if its reputable it won't.

But still, even though the ethanol from rice is the same as ethanol from barley, corn, rye, whatever, there are all sorts of enzymes, proteins, trace elements, etc. left from the fermentation process and whatever aging processes are used that some people are allergic to or react badly to.

Schmoe said, "...Ethanol is your friend."
A public health issue speaker hired by my high school told us, "Ethyl is no lady".

Also, there are compounds which develop along with alcohol but never "make the grade". These are referred to as congeners. They can twist you up.

Think of alcohol as "yeast poop" and you might be better able to throttle back your drinking. Kira

I think the stuff is called something like Mao Tai. Chinese high proof plum brandy. It was in round green glass bottles. It was gift from a BIL whose father gave it to him on his majority. BIL has the flush from alcohol that makes the experience painful. I like a good buzz from booze.I simply cannot devote the time to partake and recover. I go without drinking for weeks at a time and have a beer and hit the sofa.I used to have quite a thirst. Now, due to meds, I'm almost a tee totaler. But I'll drink anything you put in front of me for a taste.
grin2.gif

Budweiser is made with rice. I can never understand why it is the largest selling beer. Bud light is the worst.

What's wrong with you? They're both disgusting but everyone I know says bud light is better than budweiser.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
Alcohol is NOT alcohol. That stuff probably had more methanol than ethanol in it. Methanol is what kills you and can leave you blind. Ethanol is your friend.
You expect us to believe the FDA allows methanol to be sold here in a drink?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: horse123

What's wrong with you? They're both disgusting but everyone I know says bud light is better than budweiser.

Only b/c bud light tastes less like bud.

Some of the nastiest tasting (if you can call it that) beer. And I'm fine with cheap/[censored] beer and wine, at time, too; but Bud - ack, I'd have to be very desperate.

I guess rice, corn, or wheat must be cheaper than barley. That's why it's used in beer making. When the starches are converted to sugars it allows the yeast to produce alcohol without leaving as much residual flavor as from a pure barley mash. This lighter style of beer definitely has its place and we don't have to be beer snobs. I am about as picky as you can get with spirits. I used to like beer a lot more than I do now and I became quite the beer snob. But, every now and then I just like a few Miller High Life or regular Budweiser. It kind of takes me back to my younger days. It's thoroughly unobjectionable and easy to drink. I'm sure that's the goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back