What do you consider 'low' and when do you add?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
The best oil additive is top up oil of the same type

Definitely agree with that.

I keep it at the "Full" mark unless it's getting late into the oil change interval. Then I let it go down as far as the "Add" line to minimize the amount of add-in oil I put in for the interval.

When putting new oil in and filter on, I get the oil to the "Full" line to start the interval.

If the car's new and doesn't burn significant oil, I fill it to the "Full" line and then don't add any oil during the interval.

I put it on full after an oil change, and that's that. might check after a few days if all's ok, and then again after about 6-7k if I remember... but it's quite boring, as the oil level is still right at the full mark

It makes no difference as long as the level doesn't fall below the L line but it's safer to keep it above the half line or near the F line so that the level doesn't unexpectedly fall below the L line for some reason. That's what they mean in that picture posted by OP.

Just when I thought there's nothing left to think of for topics regarding oil, someone comes up with something like this. Personally I always try to keep my cars on the "full" level in the dipstick range. I get paranoid when it's halfway, and heaven forbid, low. But keep in mind if you look up oil capacity specs on something like Alldata or Mitchell on demand...the oil amount they tell you to add sometimes places the level somewhere in the middle of the capacity range on the dipstick. In fact I see that a lot.

Another thing to consider is fuel/moisture in the oil...I've seen oil levels all over the place in a given period of time based off of driving conditions and temperature.

So I personally like my oil all the way up, but I certainly don't think any damage is being done as long as you don't let it go to the "low" mark.

Interesting variety of answers on this thread.

Years of experience with my riding mower eventually led me to consider the ADD mark to represent FULL. While mowing my property, the engine would get oil in the cylinder and put out a large plume of white smoke if I was heading downhill for too long. I consider 1/8" below ADD to be the practical low level.

The Camaro I used to top up if it got halfway between FULL and ADD. Unless I was at a track day, where I would overfill 1/2-quart above ADD and check the oil before every session. But lately, since the oil consumption has gotten to 1 quart per 2000 miles, I just let it get down to ADD, then put in a full quart.

On the Dodge, I found that it used less oil if I kept the level 1 quart from FULL. Then I would just add 1 quart if the level got to ADD. But since I recently had the oil pan gasket replaced, I think I'll go back to filling it all the way up, then add when it gets a quart low.

I have done dyno tests at work where we ran as much as 4 quarts low on an 8-quart sump, and the engine still had stable oil pressure when running on a low-speed test cycle. (Strictly in the name of science, of course.)

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Interesting variety of answers on this thread.

Years of experience with my riding mower eventually led me to consider the ADD mark to represent FULL. While mowing my property, the engine would get oil in the cylinder and put out a large plume of white smoke if I was heading downhill for too long. I consider 1/8" below ADD to be the practical low level.

The Camaro I used to top up if it got halfway between FULL and ADD. Unless I was at a track day, where I would overfill 1/2-quart above ADD and check the oil before every session. But lately, since the oil consumption has gotten to 1 quart per 2000 miles, I just let it get down to ADD, then put in a full quart.

On the Dodge, I found that it used less oil if I kept the level 1 quart from FULL. Then I would just add 1 quart if the level got to ADD. But since I recently had the oil pan gasket replaced, I think I'll go back to filling it all the way up, then add when it gets a quart low.

I have done dyno tests at work where we ran as much as 4 quarts low on an 8-quart sump, and the engine still had stable oil pressure when running on a low-speed test cycle. (Strictly in the name of science, of course.)

This is by far the best summary.

The mark on the dipstick is just a worst case guestimate by the mfg. It is safe to run almost any engine far below the full mark in almost all cases.

When I was building engines regularly I would test fit the oil pan and mark the max level on the dipsticks (wet sump engines) based on keeping the oil level below the crank and windage screen and allowing for 1g (45deg) oil angles. The min oil level could have been 3 to 4 inches lower and still had good capacity and no suction issues. However, everybody expects to see a low mark about an inch or less lower, so I just marked there.

Everybody has these crazy ideas engines are scientifically engineered. That's pretty much non-sense. Engines are designed for the typical idiot operator and warranty concerns.

I would add oil when it got to the add mark.

Exception: I would top off the 5.0 DOHC SC if it used any appreciable amount.

Exception: 2.7 EB ends up slightly overfilled when I fill with spec 6.0 quart so I would add full quart a little early.

Exception: If I had an engine that called for a quart overfill on track (GM LSx) I would add a full quart when it got a half quart low.

PS None of my gas engines use any oil of note so it's a moot point.

Last edited:
My Protegé5 holds 3.5L (about 3.7 quarts) of oil, so if it's down to the add mark, it's a liter low or almost 30% of it's capacity. So I add when it's half way between full and add.

Love and hate these threads. Its just fun to see everyone's opinion, but then ya gotta resist the urge to perform an early oil change.

I think DOHC cars thst are ran up in the rpms need at least an oil level in the middle. Otherwise, some of the engine may be starving for oil when doing a run or a pull.

I come from owning a Saturn that got to a quart of usage every 500 miles, so I may appreciate what I have a bit more and enjoy so much what I used to take for granted. And this was on a courier car, so I was adding about a pint a day.

Even if you dont get crank foam, it may still be possible to overoil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back