M1 Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
I removed the valve cover to replace its gasket on my 2006 Chevy Aveo, 1.6L I4. The car has 205K miles and has used M1 5w-30 with 7500 mile OCI's since new. I don't know if the pictures will be good enough to see. The cams have only a little bit of burnishing of the surface but no evidence of anything that I would call wear. Absolutely no sludge or dirt in there either.

https://picasaweb.google.com/10088130856...feat=directlink

Disclaimer: I realize that this isn't any type of scientific test. Just posted for those who might be curios like me.

Originally Posted By: NibbanaBanana
I removed the valve cover to replace its gasket on my 2006 Chevy Aveo, 1.6L I4. The car has 205K miles and has used M1 5w-30 with 7500 mile OCI's since new. I don't know if the pictures will be good enough to see. The cams have only a little bit of burnishing of the surface but no evidence of anything that I would call wear. Absolutely no sludge or dirt in there either.

https://picasaweb.google.com/10088130856...feat=directlink

Disclaimer: I realize that this isn't any type of scientific test. Just posted for those who might be curios like me.

Impressive. I always like to see under the valve cover. Yeah, it can't show you that it is fine, but it can tell you that there is something "wrong".

"The most amazing thing is that you could stand to drive an Aveo for 205,000 miles."

The previous two cars that we bought new, and drove until they rusted to death at 185K and 186K miles, were Geo Metros. Those both had 3 cylinder 1L motors that got around 50mpg. Now, maybe you understand. Actually, my wife put on the brunt of the miles on the Aveo. That said, these cars all have saved us a lot of money.

"I'm having a hard time believing an Aveo made it to 205k miles"

Other than oil changes, filters, coolant, plugs, wires, tires, brakes, and timing belts, the only repairs I have made to the vehicle were a throttle body, a cam position sensor, and a front wheel bearing probably damaged by a pot hole hit. Original exhaust and clutch still in the car. Relatively little rust. And it runs and drives pretty much like new. Maybe not quite as tight feeling on the highway. I just wish I could get another one.

My experience and observation is that the cost of the car has no correlation with it's life expectancy. (Maybe even an inverse correlation?)

"What's your MPG on the M1 sauce?"

It gets about 36-37mpg on the highway. I haven't checked local driving mpg.

Does an Aveo need M1 for 7500 mile changes? Don't know.

Will M1 go longer than 7500 miles in an Aveo? Don't know.

Does M1 work for 7500 miles in an Aveo? ABSOLUTELY!

Not surprised at all. Used synthetics in my engine for 10 years plus and i have the same great results..really clean inside. I use M1, SHU..Castrol Edge..depends on whats on sale.

I only use M1 oils, and your pics are typical of the results I have had for the last 38 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back